YesShield - SD clone ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by abu shofwan, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Can we use the setup file after November 10,2012?

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Evidently, as much as they appear similar, YS is not a clone of SD.

You say it should not matter whether or not you select to reboot into YS' Protection Mode, but that clearly is not the case. Perhaps rebooting into Protection Mode is intended to retain the prior virtual environment so that on can test a new install that requires a restart.

TS

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

To many facts show that YS is copied/hacked/bought/stolen - choose what you want - code of SD. So...what is YS in your opinion and is it worth of attention?

4. The Shadow

Hi ichito,

The PROC actions are very worrisome to me. If we remain suspicious of SD v1.1.0.331 because of the mysterious circumstances surrounding Tony, why should we be any less suspicious of YS v1.0? - because of YS' free offer?

With the possible exception of Sandboxie, SD remains the only English-language LV type of app that's been shown capable of keeping serious malware from escaping its virtual container (or sandbox), so I for one will be a little more patient with the hope that SD development (and support) has resumed.

TS

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

TS,

Those are all excellent points, but since no version of SD runs on my W7 laptop with mSSD without crashing Windows, I can't wait on SD much longer and will probably move on to Sandboxie.

Cruise

6. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

I am also looking for a second best replacement for SD but YS I don't trust and SBIE doesn't support system wide virtualization/protection in a safe/advised way:

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13656

(or did I miss something?)

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sandboxie is not a LV program and as advised by Tzuk and Guess10 it should not be used as such but it can be used to sandbox any program or file that you want. I basically, never open anything out of a sandbox unless I am updating a program or doing a new install.

In my opinion, LV programs are great, I use them in my XP and W7 computers but for security, Sandboxie has proven to be more than enough for me. I am sure SD was a great program, if you end up replacing it with SBIE, you will be replacing it with a equal or better program.

Bo

8. bo elam

I agree, TS, like always, makes some very good points.

Come on over man. Installing SBIE takes only about 10 seconds.

Bo

9. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi Bo,

I've already come over - in that I've been running the free edition of SBIE for a month now and I'm finding it provides very secure browsing with IE9 (I haven't really found any use for having SBIE running an app sandboxed). However, since I'm only using SBIE to sandbox IE9, I am now trying Google Chrome with its built-in sandbox to determine the more secure combination. Any thoughts on that?

I realize this is OT, so I apologize in advance to all... :oops:

Cruise

10. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

Ok, thanks for the info.

11. bo elam

@Cruise, I have never tried Chrome, cant really comment about it. I like my Firefox with NoScript running under SBIE. To me, that's the perfect all around browser.

Bo

12. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

May I suggest you go with bufferzone pro (free). because you can tweak its setting (set to highest) and it sandboxes everything untrusted. all download and questionable files will be ran in bufferzone. Its better then sandboxie because sandboxie only sandboxed browsers and folders you specify or you have to run files in sandbox. Bufferzone already sandboxes everything and you have to un-bufferzone (un sandbox) it to run outside bufferzone. Sort of like a virtualization but instead of virtualizing everything it only virtualizes untrusted files and anything you download online or ran by USB or dvd drive, etc. at the highest setting.

I even tested it malwares and tdss rootkit that i tested hand others and non infected the system and was clean after cleaning the bufferzone and restating or rebooting.

13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

This is all OT, but fwiw BZ brought my system to a crawl when I tried it 2-months ago. :gack:

14. taleblou

Well in the past yes, but I used it for a while last month until I got my VM and it did not slow down or anything nasty. Mine is win 7 home 32bit 3GB memory dua core. SO I do not know what to say.

15. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

Hello taleblou,

Thank you for your suggestion, I really appreciate it!

I have tried bufferzone and tested it with the portable version of firefox and it correctly "bufferzoned" it. But when I added my directory "d:\portableapps" every app a launched from that directory didn't get "bufferzoned" / "sandboxed" (it didn't get the red border around the window).

But I tested it very shortly, after reading your post and other posts here on the forum I should test a little bit longer.
    If it is possible to "protect" my whole c:\ drive I will definitely give it another try. I am using windows 7 64bit with a solid state drive.

What I want to do, is lockdown my whole c:\ disk with the exception of "mydocuments" and "Desktop". And if possible, lock it down in such a way that nothing gets written/changed in my c:\ drive (windows, registry,...) except for the bufferzone files.

16. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

got replied by today ...

17. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

That's what I got for mines too:blink:

18. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

this line confusing me :D

Free Edition has expire date ?

19. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

It will expire after November 10,2012.

20. taleblou

Hi:

Did you set your setting to highest (moving the bar all the way to the very top)? I do not use mobile browser but if the setting is set high and also there is a box need check-mark that run any untrusted app in sandbox (needs a reboot) you should be good. Go through the settings again. Also not everything is shown in the bufferzone windows. For example when I used firefox and downloaded file, only one set of firefox was shown and no plugin or download shown in bufferzone windows. But my download had bufferzone logo on and when ran it it opened in bufferzone.

Again go through your settings one by one and set all of them to the highest. Also I would remove download folder and other folder and files from bufferzone SAFE list. You need to tweak and go through all the option one by one to secure it.

21. The Shadow

The BZ discussion is OT - why don't you start a fresh thread? :rolleyes:

22. Alicelost

Alicelost Registered Member

YesShield is a clone of shadow defender

how do I know this ?

I just activated it using my shadow defender reg code :D

Check out for your selfs :D

23. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Thanks...I expected such fact. Do we need something more?? :D

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Replies that say they can not say the history of the project, it just does not feel right to me. Something just feels odd about why they can not be honest about it.

This is the second ShadowDefender "clone app" that has appeared Tony must have sold some of the source code for this to happen or is was easy to hack.

25. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.