Yes, that PC cleanup app you saw on TV at 3 a.m. is a waste

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/yes-that-pc-cleanup-app-you-saw-on-cable-tv-at-3am-is-a-scam/

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

My wife saw this on TV one night and said profoundly "You should make something like this and get rich like these guys" Boy why didn't I think of that. :rolleyes:

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Another scam. Another dollar for the crooks.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

MyCleanPC brought to you by the crooks behind CyberDefender, who also have others, another one being DoubleMySpeed. I see their commercials all to often on TV. Makes you wonder how much cash these lowlifes are raking in being able to afford all that time on TV.

5. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I thought MyCleanPC was gone but then it reared its ugly head again on TV the other night. Besides that, I constantly see PCMatic commercials, though I believe that isn't by CyberDefender, but I assume it is a scam as well. Every time I see it I want to throw something at my TV. They always mention the free download, but not the cost of activating the product to fix problems...

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I could resist. Months ago I shadowed my system, and tested it. Nothing but a crappy registry cleaner. Those people claiming super results are just plain lying. Was really curious what it did on clean up, but not willing to give the scum the money.

Pete

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Here in Australia we don't have any such ads on TV.

However, I decided to give MyCleanPC a try. I'm not sure if I have tried it before, but since it's not a new product I probably have since I tend to try all such software.

It appears to be based on Systyweak's software. The scan results are misleading as every privacy trace found, and every fragmented file is classed as an issue. The registry cleaner has minor issues with false positives, which is to be expected.

This software does have the potential to speed up a computer due to junk file cleanup and disk defrag. But it certainly won't live up to the exaggerated claims.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Funny stuff. Sadly though the users that could use legitimate help the most are the ones who will get shafted.

I much prefer to see these types of ads and people wasting money on thier pc than the drug commercials. You know the ones,
    (fictitional, just saying ;) )

Sul.

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I'm a bit surprised that such ads were allowed by the TV network. I support private self-regulation as much as possible, but for this particular case it's obviously not working very well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

TV regulation only kicks in if you offend somebody or show too much girly parts. Otherwise you can practically sell and claim anything you want, from poison to scam software.

11. roger_m

Sad but true. This software isn't what I'd call a scam - but it certainly will not work as well as advertised.

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I just don't get why people even bother with these products hawked on TV. I mean, if you have a computer, you can damn well open up your browser and Google software to do the job. Sure, you still run the risk of being fooled if you've never dealt with it before. But chances are better you'll hit the first few links that will take you to a quality product, free or not.

13. roger_m

The power of advertising is very persuasive so I can understand why so many people get sucked in.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I have never seen a computer-related commercial on TV.
    Plus I barely watch TV, bringing the probability of that happening to zero.
    Not sure why people bother; I would expect some kind of ad blindness by now.
    Mrk

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ah! The power of commercial advertising brain washing.:blink:

16. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well here in england in all the time i have watched TV not once ever has a computer utility advertisement ever appeared.Not sure what the regulation is on this but it seems these sort of things dont warrant television advertising or there simply is not the demand for it.:D

17. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Anyone remember PCPitstop ?
    The late night TV ads with the pretty blonde girl with the German accent ?
    Kind of reminds me of "Katy" with DriveSentry.

Yet another (in my opinion) truly shady operation is hosted by Best Buy.
    Check out their pricing on computer services;
    spyware removal, computer and file backup, OS install/reinstall, and much more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Geek-Sq...es/pcmcat138100050019.c?id=pcmcat138100050019

18. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I don't have such ads on TV here. Not even at 3 a.m. :p

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

PCPitStop is still around, lol http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Ahh, Katie. Yes I do remember her, lol.

Don't take your stuff to GeekSquad. They're insanely priced for even the most simple tasks. I've seen machines come back in worse shape than when they went in there and they also have a habit at times of poking around personal files. That's happened a lot.

20. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

While I can't give specifics, there have been a couple of these "seen on tv" ads that actually were legitimate. The kicker was the info on the screen pointing to a New York Times, CNN, USA Today, or some other reputable names write-up. Otherwise, unfortunately, too many gullible people think that if it's on tv, it has to be okay..

21. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I installed Ad Muncher and Adblock on all the family PCs, as well as the PCs that belong to our elderly friends. None of them are computer savy, however, one of them who has a cable box pointed out that it had a TCP connection on it and wondered if these PC products would work on the TV. Well that took some explanation. I suggested that the mute button on the remote was the best solution at this time. Generally they are not bothered by most of the ads, it is mostly the dating and weight loss ones that drive them up the wall. They rail at them as being so obviously fake, however the rope a dope PC cleanup ones do not pass as fake to them. Too trusting and so easily taken in. I wish I did have MANAGE EXCEPTIONS button on the TV for such things.

22. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

She still looks awesome. link
    Was she a blonde also at DriveSentry time?

23. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

But, it's on TV, it must be true....just like they won't let you put anything on the Internet that isn't true (I heard that on the Internet.):D

24. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I'm actually surprised UniBlue products haven't appeared on televison...they're just as bad.

25. roger_m

I'm surprised too - more over hyped junk.

Actually, Driver Scanner isn't too bad, but SpeedUpMyPC and Registry Booster are garbage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.