YALD - Yet Another Layer of Defense

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pigman, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, now I've got Adaware, Spybot, F-Prot, AntiVir, SpywareBlaster, and of course HijackThis. But from what I've heard, I also need a firewall. The problem is, I've never used on in my life. What would you guys reccomend? Also, any advice or instructions on how to configure a firewall?

2. lonewolf3367

lonewolf3367 Guest

Zonealarm free is a great beginners Firewall . I've used it and like it. Very easy to set up. And i would recommend you get some kind of Firewall asap!

3. ThatSnowGuy

ThatSnowGuy Guest

PM said: "Well, now I've got Adaware, Spybot, F-Prot, AntiVir, SpywareBlaster, and of course HijackThis."

Pigman

is that ALL you have? Well you need MORE!! You don't state your OS....if its XP then you have a firewall (inbound only)...........since you are new to firewalls zone alarm freeware will do for now....later you can change if you like.
    A Trojan Scanner suggested........again depends on your os if you are looking for freeware.........personally, I don't suggest the use of A2....others may....
    Consider downloading DSOstop...at the wilders freetools page.......an a script detector of your choice also...I use Script Defender.......no knowleged needed to use these very good lil programs....set and forget.
    Depends on your OS what other particular programs that could be suggested. Index.dat cleaner...cookie cleaner...=MRUBLASTER...plus one other as backup..........since this is the firewall forum I wont go any further on this topic......

4. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I'm on Win98.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I use FireFox.

As for ZoneAlarm... Well, it seems okay, but those little ad thingies in the control window annoy me a bit, as does my inability to see exactly how it decides what stuff to block. But those are fairly minor issues, I think.

DSOStop... Sounds like a good idea.

Anti-trojan... Is Gladiator finished, or is it still in development? And what about Ewido? Can that work on Win98, or is it limited to Win2000, WinME, etc.?

And Script Defender... What does that do? Is it ActiveX protection? Where can I get it?

5. notageek

notageek Registered Member

6. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

PM

may I respectfully suggest that you not get annoyed but instead use zone alarm.......just until you learn about making rules for rule based firewalls.....you NEED a firewall.......right now.

No, ewido wont work on win98..............script defender blocks the execution of dangerous scripts....(wsh-vbs- jse-) offers real time protection......a must have/use program........has saved more often than any other program.....an can be found at the wilders freetools page..near the bottom of the page I think.....very small program...would not get on the web without it.......really.
    yes, I could suggest other firewalls.....but right now the major concern is that you get one as soon as possible.....then go from there......one step at a time PM.......gosh only knows whats on your computer because of not using a firewall.......get one.......an zone alarm DOES tell you alittle of whats trying to connect.....also, in one of your posts you mention having an older computer......try installing MAXMEM......its a small memory manager that releases memory....made by the same people who make script defender.....you will notice an improvement ( also found at wilders freetools page)......another must have on older computers.
    install these an get back if you can....perhaps even a new thread..

7. snowguy

snowguy Guest

8. snowguy

snowguy Guest

here is a link to download Webwasher(a local proxy) that filters junk on the internet NEVER USE AS A SERVER>>NEVER>>> its not as good as proxmo.....but good for a new person....besides I could not find a link for proxmo....lol........

webwasher is free for home use.....am not sure how to set it up with foxfire.....someone will show you if you ask..

http://www.webwasher.com/client/download/private_use/windows/index.html?lang=de_EN

hope this link works,,,,,,

9. notageek

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  10. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

NOTA

nice looking out.........PM hasn't posted back.....an I am on my way out.....but I would personally use proxo.....not webwasher...

PIGMAN

seems you disappeared.....time for me to go......take care and good luck.

11. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

No, I haven't disappeared - it was just 12:00 PM where I live, so I decided to get some sleep. And I happen to have ZoneAlarm installed now.

By the way, has anyone ever noticed compatibility issues between ZoneAlarm and AntiVir? Because during the reboot after installation yesterday, my comp went into an infinite loop while AntiVir was loading - an infinitely repeating error message on a blue screen. And this morning, my comp rebooted on startup when AntiVir started loading. Is this just a fluke, or have things like this been noted before?

12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I really don't think I need MaxMem. My main problems are more with Temp files than RAM - my C drive's Temp folder keeps getting bloated up to the point that drive C is filled.

13. Catwomen

Catwomen Guest

No! Spywareblaster adds activex protection. Script defender does something else.

14. notageek

15. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I told you already, I don't have those problems! My problem is that, since I installed ZoneAlarm, my computer has been crashing in a different way every time I have started up, and always when AntiVir was loading! I repeat: SINCE I HAVE INSTALLED ZONEALARM, MY COMPUTER HAS CRASHED AND REQUIRED A REBOOT ON EVERY STARTUP!

My question: is this a known compatibility issue, or is it just a matter of RAM?

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Any other good firewalls for n00bs, then? Or can I solve this problem by removing ZoneAlarm from the startup list and turning it on manually after startup?

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do a search for Zone Alarm on the bottom of this page for more info.

19. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, so much for that...

After stating in a very obnoxious fashion that it was not only incompatible with AntiVir, but also with Mozilla Firefox and just about everything else on my computer that didn't come with Win98, I was forced to reboot in Safe Mode and uninstall it, uttering various obscenities and criticisms of corporate laziness while doing so.

Now that the offending program is removed, everything is just peachy/ Except for one thing: I don't have a firewall any more. And, from what I've seen, I need one, badly. Like a hermit crab deprived of its shell, I must scuttle as fast as possible to find and equip another one, before some worm makes a meal of my computer. Any suggestions? (I'm currently eyeing Sygate.) And no, they don't have to be totally n00b-oriented, just n00b-compatible. :)

20. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You could try that, or start your AV manually.
    The following post discusses start up monitors/utilities:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5055

If your problems with ZA persist, you may want to try another firewall. Some of the other free offerings:

Kerio Perosnal Firewall v2.15 - direct download link
    Outpost Personal Firewall
    Sygate Personal Firewall

Regards,

CrazyM

21. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

PIGMAN SAID:
    "I really don't think I need MaxMem. My main problems are more with Temp files than RAM - my C drive's Temp folder keeps getting bloated up to the point that drive C is filled."

NOTAGEEK REPLIED:

"There's programs like Windows washer that will clean out the temp files. Also there are free programs you can find here:"

PIGMAN

Notageek simply replied to your post....an did so correctly. As RONJOR pointed out there is a Zone Alarm forum...perhaps there you will find someone that will resolve your za issues.

22. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Forget those problems, now I have newer and bigger one. Despite being completely uninstalled (via its uninstaller, of course), ZoneAlarm continues to hog up RAM at startup, and Firefox-related incompatibility errors continue to occur. Again: ZONEALARM IS TOTALLY UNINSTALLED, BUT IS STILL HOGGING UP RAM AND CAUSING INCOMPATIBILITY ERRORS WITH FIREFOX. Do you guys have any idea what to do about this? How do you get rid of a RAM leak in which the program involved is not only not running, but not even present on the computer? How does one eliminate incompatibility errors when the source of them has already been removed? I am completely clueless. :'(

And by the way: PLEASE, FOR GOD'S SAKE, RESPOND TO THIS POST, NOT MY LAST ONE!!!!!

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Pigman

True vector, a component of Zone Alarm is sometimes hard to remove.

Go to their website for help.

You might consider a router or enable the XP built in firewall in the meantime.

24. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

25. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Pigman

I suppose you have STILL not been to ZoneAlarm Forim for help yet? :rolleyes:

UNINSTALL SEARCH HELP? ZONE LABS FORUM

Try and get off your horse? People are trying to HELP YOU.
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.