Yahoo paid email or something else?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am wanting to find an email service that offers the following:
    1. no ads
    2. does not scan emails for content
    3. pop3 and/or IMAP
    4. ability to send/receive attachments
    5. paid or free doesn't really matter
    6. have been around a while and have a good reputation

The reason for the above is because I want an email address for business purposes. Having an email service that knowingly scans email for content may avail emails to a waiver of confidentiality. That's definitely an area I don't want to get into. I don't want the ads because I would rather pay for a service that does not have ads. Ads are annoying IMO.

I don't see that Gmail or Hotmail offer paid versions of their email which is ad free. If there are such versions (and the email is not scanned for content) please let me know. GMX looked ok for a while but I tested the site by making an email address and waiting a few weeks and I have already started receiving spam despite never registering my email address anywhere. So GMX is out. Any other email services that fit my needs?

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

3. Wild Hunter

There have been lots of discussions about the possible privacy issues behind the practice of scanning mail content to display targeted ads with automatic robots. Some people just don't agree that they are important. Others worry too much. I see it as a somewhat minor but not negligible issue to be honest.

Google does that (robot scanning of mail content to display targeted ads) with their Gmail service and Microsoft (owner of Hotmail/Outlook services) doesn't AFAIK.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Yandex got you covered. It's also very very fast, and has been around for a long time. Encrypted too!

http://mail.yandex.com/

If you want something paid, and even more secure, go with Neomailbox.net, it's also offshore. I tend to spread my risk over multiple jurisdictions, so I recommend others do the same. Ad free, fully encrypted, nice service.

http://neomailbox.net/

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

6. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Fastmail has a loyal following and great flexibility for customization.

7. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Perhaps you can consider to buy a domain and purchase email hosting from some reputed hosting company.:)

8. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Gmail has ads in the free version, but I believe you can turn them off in the settings.

9. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Lavabit is what you want

very secure and offers both web mail based email and pop3 with no ads and is very secure

http://lavabit.com/

they have free and paid accounts

10. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

That is also the suggestion I was going to make. But to be honest, unless you are hosting your own email server, you cannot be 100% sure that nobody will scan the content of your email.

11. Bodhitree

Agreed, lava is good. Nobody in their right mind would use Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail. They are entirely scooped up, monitored, scanned, and tabulated. By corporations, and the govt. They aren't honest suggestions - seriously. Fastmail is no longer free, unless you are grandfathered in, and they are migrating to a paid service. Yandex is vastly superior.

12. Wild Hunter

What makes you trust more in Yandex ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex

13. Bodhitree

Yandex has made it clear they will never integrate their search engine stuff with email, unlike Google, and Yandex has remained ad-free throughout the life of the search engine. I am not saying it's foolproof, but it is a lot better than most!

My critical email stuff is based on an anon, encrypted server in the Netherlands. Anything else is spread between services like Yandex (and others), where the data isn't crucial, but I still don't want it snooped by US authorities as a matter of principle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
  14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

That's what I wonder as well. Though data that has already been sent out of Russia is subject to the laws of the country the data arrives in, while the data is in Russia and held on Russian servers, it's under their jurisdiction and, well, user protection and rights aren't as "protected" there as they are say, in the U.S (saying that sentence made me chuckle a bit). This goes for sent, received and stored emails in your account because almost all email services keep copies for an amount of time and if emails are in your account anywhere, they're on those servers anyway.

15. Bodhitree

Remember, Jurisdictional spreading is actually a security protocol. For example to obtain my data, a judge would have to sign a couple dozen different subpoenas. Then nearly a dozen different overseas jurisdictions would have to be contacted, a lengthy, time consuming, resource intensive proceedure that really wouldn't be worth it.

Especially considering some of those jurisdictions don't even recognize US authority. Russia is notoriously bad for record keeping, and international data compliance, laughable for the US to expect Yandex data. I don't do business with US companies if I can avoid it, simply because I want jurisdictional protection a firewall against information gathering, and data retention. You'd be far more private, and secure, doing business with Yandex on a RUS server then you would Yahoo. Brunei for example has no diplomatic recognition of the USA or Israel, and protocols to prevent intrusion by those countries. So Brunei is actually a pretty safe place to keep stuff you don't want your home jurisdiction snooping on. Quite a number of Brunei hosted email companies, and there is a guarantee of non-compliance with any data snooping or mining - by your home jurisdiction.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You make a good point about LEA or our government trying to snoop, but you've got more trust in Russia than me. The only online and public business I've done with Russia was AllofMP3 many years ago (This was back when Russia and the U.S were a wee bit more friendly to each other..which is why AllofMP3 is now basically dead unless they've revived in recent years.) Data probably would be safer there now that Russia has, ahem, a "strong distaste" for our government. The drawback is that if Russia or another country decided they wanted to have a little looksee, your snowball's chance in hell of taking a U.S agency to court and winning would be larger than any chance you'd have of spanking the Russians or someone else for snooping.

17. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I have good experience with Lavabit & Gandi mail. With the latest one you just buy a domain from them and get free email. I can't speak about their support because I never had problems with them and this is an important aspect if you have problems with their services.

I don't recommend Yahoo. I had bad experience with them.

18. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

What are the benefits of having another email such as the popular Gmail or hotmail or Yahoo/

I have a Gmail and everything I have is on my gmail account, I love the ability to being able to login to YouTube as well using my gmail without creating an account.

I never see ads in Gmail since I turned those off

is there any compelling reason for me to switch?

Also, do you recommend I switch to this Lavabit and pay or get a free email from my Host (Host Gator)?

I don't usually receive any sensitive info over email just the usual stuff

19. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I use Lavabit and have considered getting the paid version which is securely stored but I almost wonder what the point is when pretty much all the people I email won't be doing the same so in my eyes it'd be pretty pointless. Also, Lavabit will only let you pay with your credit card and I'd prefer PayPal and I know others would prefer Bitcoins.

Neomailbox has been mentioned and it's one I have considered but it seems quite pricey and doesn't have the best reputation on WOT. Still I'm not sure I trust WOT and I do regularly consider Neomailbox but it is expensive for what you get.

Edit: I just wanted to add, don't pay for Yahoo!

20. Daveski17

A/ How do you know?

B/ Has anyone told the FSB this?

21. Bodhitree

Neomailbox.net has been in my cycle for a couple of years, great service. MUCH better than Mutemail. Countermail isn't bad either.
    https://countermail.com/

I generally switch services and emails every 12-18 months as a security precaution, and several (paid) solutions are in my rotation, all of them just fine. No trouble with any including Neomailbox.

22. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've used Gmail for years never an issue.

I also use GMX no problems as well.

23. Daveski17

There have been issues with GMX & all contacts mysteriously disappearing. I had this happen once, although I only had a few contacts to begin with. Apart from that, GMX seems pretty good.

24. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Up until 2010, he was right. Russia had very little data retention or monitoring. In 2012, with the creation of the "Law on the Protection of Children from Information Detrimental to Their Health and Development", that changed and they can monitor, log and even modify data better than the U.S or U.K can (well, I should more accurately say better than both are willing/willing to admit to right now). It's basically a "black box" deal and, using VPNs/proxies would result in fines and/or internet access removed.

If all you're talking about is record keeping in general, look to Japan. They're quite happily storing records on paper and still using decades old computers and technology like dot-matrix printers.

25. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

They reserve the right to review user created content on ANY live service. Which means having access to any of your content.
    There is no evidence this is automated scanning of all content, a quick google suggests they may flag accounts based on file names of attachments or similar.

For all live services:

"Microsoft reserves the right, at its sole discretion, and without any obligation to do so, to review and remove user-created services and content at will and without notice, and delete content and accounts."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-live/code-of-conduct

Cheers, Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.