YAHOO! Messenger Privacy Feature

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ~*Nat*~, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem with my Yahoo! messenger.

A long while ago, though I don't like doing so, I found it necessary to block
    one of the user.

After putting him in my "Ignore List" once, he messaged me again. I put him in "Ignore List" once Again. He still kept messaging me.

To make it short - I must have "blocked" him at least 6, 7 times already..and everytime I go online, he keeps sending me messages, right away.
    Note that I never had him on my Friendslist.

How can this be possible ??
    Could this be a bug in the messenger - or how else can he tell whenever I'm online o_O

Anyone else have this problem ?

:(

EDIT: Forgot to add that he says he still has me on his List.

2. ~*Nat*~

No no...when one blocks another user...whether he/she is on your buddylist Or NOT..this person should not be able to see when you're online...
    and you cannot receive their messages anymore. Thats why I'm baffled.......

3. ~*Nat*~

Thank's Mr.P. You know I appreciate your trying. But like you said, only users of the messenger may know. And You don't use IM.

Errr...while youre waiting in the backyard..would you be so kind and shuffle away the snow for me a bit ? ;) Thank's! :-*

4. Shae

Shae Registered Member

Nat,

I hope I can be of some help. I use MSN messenger and it has an option for blocking those that aren't on your Allow List. Maybe, Yahoo Messenger has the same feature. Okay, first of all look to see if there is a box that has something like "Only People on my Allow List can see my status and send me messages". If so, check that box. Also, look to see if there is something that says something similar to "Can't see my status or send me messages" Add this person's ID or whatever to that list.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  5. eventho u never may have put this user on ur list, it is possible he is using another program which allows him to manually add u too his list without ur permission. there are programs like y!mlite (http://daynacommunications.com/ymlite/), yahelite (http://www.yahelite.org/), and JAM by trolling around which allow people to do this. these are yahoo messenger replacements that can be a little complicated to use, but do most things messenger does and then some. personally, i use y!tunnelpro (http://www.ytunnelpro.com/) which is a companion to yahoo messenger. it also has a feature where u can remove ur own username from somebody elses buddy list, plus it blocks advertisements and gives u protection against lots of other things. once u start looking around at some of these websites, u'll see that there is allot going on in yahoo messenger that u didn't even know about! i'm am still just learning myself about most of them, but hope this helps.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Nat,

Should you decide on any of these, some additional help pages and forum....http://chat-help.co.uk/ + a tip from "Chats."
    The above mentioned look to be the most popular.

You may read brief comparisons here. Click bold titles on the left to expand.

@ intoxsickated.....agreed!
    Best,
    GF

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

You could always create a new account. I use MSN messenger and every now and again, I will create a new account and move only the contacts, that I still talk to, to other to the new contacts list. Just makes things a little tidier and more secure.

Jimbob

8. ~*Nat*~

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi again Nat,

Personally I don't use im's, but here are a few vague reviews on your find. Maybe look around some in those forums to
    gain a better understanding. I feel our guest and SPC are on the right track as far as effectively achieving your goal.

GF

10. Jimbob1989

Thats nothing Nat, I have previously examine a program that allowed people to connect to others webcams without there knowledge. Of coourse I didn't use it inapropiately but someone could.

Jimbob

11. ~*Nat*~

It gets even scarier ! :eek:

Sooo, I guess that the other feature to where one can see who is watching your webcam is another joke.
    YAHOO! needs some major Security update !

Is there a way to prevent this somehow o_O

12. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Cannot believe how low some people will stoop, there should be a law against such nonsense.

13. ~*Nat*~

I agree. But we all know there are some really strange individuals out there.

And what's better. It doesn't cost them a dime to "peep" behind the safety of their monitor & for whatever other reason they use this method to "spy" on others ~ and to "get on" with their
    voyerism <sp> fetish. :rolleyes:

14. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Take a look at ytunnel as touch wood, once they are in your super iggy bin that is where they stay. No messages gets through as ytunnel knocks them back instantly.

15. ~*Nat*~

Ya, I might give it a second thought. Although I'm a bit wary of downloading
    unfamiliar programs. Will see ! :)

Must be british slang you used...haha. I hope that is what you meant, yes ?? :D

16. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Should have also mentioned 'deny-a buddy' feature, where you add the name who you want to ignore and set the message you want them to receive when they try to contact you :D

17. ~*Nat*~

OK ! :D

Naughty YAHOO! This "ignore" feature should've been enough.

But obvisiouly not with all those spy-proggies around, hm ?

18. Jimbob1989

Yahoo is not the only service which experiences such problems, so does MSN and I should imagine many more similar services.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.