Yahoo Mail trys to upload my postal code every time!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Escalader, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I have a Firewall product (OP FW Pro) that allows me to *** fill sensitive private data so I put in my postal code/ zip in US.

What Yahoo Mail does each time I log in to the web based service for email is it trys multiple times to upload my postal code. Each time it is blocked and *** filled.

I can still read mail and send mail so they are NOT cutting service due to their failure!

When I use Outlook or Windows Live Mail from my own PC no such uploading attempt occurs as no messages from the FW happen.

This is a puzzle, but the big privacy question is why do they do it, when there are no consequences.

I'm now wondering what else they get that I haven't blocked?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

From where exactly? I mean, where do you have the postal code stored, that is accessible from yahoo ?

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Yup, this is one of my gripes with Yahoo Mail. The login cookie will include whatever zip/post code you gave at registration of your profile/account. I haven't been paying attention to Yahoo policy so I am not sure what else (information) they are using within the cookie at the moment. The login identifier cookie is used in Yahoo Messenger also.

The funniest part about this is, the zip/post code used to be included in Yahoo account retrieval questions. If anyone grabbed your cookie info, they only had to know the birth date given at the time you registered to change the account password. Yahoo only recently doubled the account security questions from 2 to 4 (stuff like who is your fave sports star, singer, team, your place of birth, mothers maiden name, etc) - but only after Sarah Palins Yahoo Mail account was cracked (around the pres election time ). Sarah Palin's Yahoo account hijacked

I'm not sure if you can change the zip/post code details you gave at the time of registering. I just tried changing mine, to see if you can, and doesn't have the option to change.

4. Nebulus

If you gave the zip code at registration, you should consider it public information (I know, it's not normal, but that's how internet information "sharing" works).

I always give garbage answers to security questions, as I never expect to recover my passwords :).

5. Escalader

Hi Keyboard (luv that id!)

In this case it's worse, my isp decided in their wisdom to use yahoo to support email SO I never registered at all the ISP did it for me and before Sara was hacked!

Anyway, what I will do is edit my account data if possible at the ISP and then set up the *** fill trick for all of that data and see what happens. As to what the ISP eula says I don't know, I should but don't.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

How can one delete a Yahoo mail account?

thanks,

rich

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'd also like to know. I was under the impression that, in general, most of the "main player web accounts weren't able to be deleted. I don't recall ever seeing the option in past Yahoo accounts and I know for a fact Gmail isn't able to (they'd be the first to be wiped if there was such an option).

8. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

That is the same with my ISP. BT (UK) bundle Yahoo Messenger and their email service when you sign up - using the start up CD - They tweak IE with Yahoo toolbar, and create direct links to Yahoo mail. Kinda sneaky.

9. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

good question.
    well i always used fake information and different zip codes,date of birth info,etc..but anyway.i wanto to know how to delete this mail...
    yahoo is like google-they ant to know verything about you..

10. Nebulus

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

In other words it could be a LONG time before their information on you is truly purged, if it ever is. That's the biggie, none of us can poke into Yahoo, Google, or anyone elses' servers to see if these privacy policies are kept to the letter. We simply have to take their word for it.

12. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

thanks for the link,,..

13. Escalader

Yes, thanks. I'm in Canada but it sounds very similar.

BTW, I was able to go into my account and fudge the postal code which they INSIST on so they have it but it won't help them much.

The other thing is occupation they have a pop down table of fixed choices so if you were stgujpid enough as I was to give them one there is NO way to edit that! Yet it is NOT one of their mandatory fields.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.