xxxtoolbar

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by habari42, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habari42

habari42 Registered Member

Hi. Nearly every time I open Blaster, the xxxtoolbar entry in the Restricted Sites list is unchecked and I would be interested to know why,please. Cheers, Haba. o_O

2. MCT

MCT Registered Member

i think this is because of having spybot S & D installed, try uninstalling it 2 see if it helps maybe? but i wouldnt recommend leaving it uninstalled, cause u may get spyware still that spyware blaster doesnt protect against

hope this helps, good luck :d

3. habari42

Thanks MCT but I'm still curious why having Spybot should cause this, when it doesn't affect any other entries on the list.? I agree that I wouldn't be without Spybot, as it's one of the "must haves," in my opinion.
    Cheers, Haba.

4. Diamond T

Diamond T Guest

habari42 - I use Spybot and SpywareBlaster and have never had this happen. I don't think it's Spybot. Do you by any chance use PestPatrol? I have seen a few threads around about PP seeing the SB's xxx.toolbar entry as a problem (f/P). Each time the user ran PP they would have it "fix" the problem. The result would be that PP would disable SB protection for xxx.toolbar. Since it is a false positive PP may have fixed it by now but I thought I'd pass on the info in case it sheds some light on your situation.

5. Diamond T

Diamond T Guest

habari42 - sorry, I may have just given you some mis-information. Went and did a little digging around and realized I was thinking of a different SB entry. I do remember seeing something specifically about the xxx.toolbar entry being disabled but can't remember where just now. If I find it I'll let you know - after I've checked my facts instead of relying of my obviously failing memory! (Way to make myself look dumb in my first post to this board!)

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It keeps ya from lookin' dumb when you are willing to correct yourself ;-) welcome to Wilders, BTW!

7. habari42

Thanks Diamond T. When I read your first posting I thought it made a lot of sense because I do run Pest Patrol. Despite your second posting, I still think you're probably right, as I've checked PP's list of (18000) pests and XXXToolbar is one it detects and deletes. You may like to have a look at the Search page (www.pestpatrol.com/Search). Cheers, Haba.

8. Diamond T

Diamond T Guest

Hey, maybe I'm not senile after all! Easy enough to put the theory to the test and find out. Run PP and let it fix xxx.toolbar if it finds it and see if SB's protection for it has been disabled again. I don't use PP myself - only the on-line PestScan once in a while just to see what it has to say. Only ever finds 1 false positive for me.
    Tried to check out your link but it appears I'm not allowed. "You are not authorized to view this page" Hmmmm...
    Thanks for getting back and thanks for the welcome Detox.

9. genicus

genicus Registered Member

I run pest patrol, spyware blaster, spykiller, adaware and spyware guard
    pp keps saying i've CWSGoogle.MS3 and that it is in the registry under xxxtoolbar yet a search of registry reveals no sign and spykiller's hijackthis and CW shredder can find no trace. Morevoer every time i turn on spyware blaster xxxtoolbar is unchecked.
    After reading your postings I've just checked that everytime i delete the entry from PP then the xxxtoolbar comes unchecked again.
    So looks like a false positive. My attempts to email PP from within their program not working.

10. themag

themag Guest

it is PP i have the same problem

11. Mike101

Mike101 Registered Member

This problem is being discussed in forums all over the internet. Here is one example:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-28132

The problem, however, has been CONCLUSIVELY resolved. Here are the details.

Whether you use PestPatrol's native software or their online scanner, the scan INCORRECTLY identifies the following registry key as "CWS.GoogleMS.3 - Hijacker":

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com]
    "*"=dword:00000004

But this registry key - taking its DATA into consideration! - corresponds to the setting of "xxxtoolbar" as a RESTRICTED SITE in IE. And that's one of many, many registry entries which SB creates in order to protect our systems.

12. Diamond T

Diamond T Registered Member

habari42 - well, it all comes back to me now. When I originally posted I knew what I was talking about but then on second guessing myself I had forgotten that CWSGoogle.MS3 related to xxx.toolbar. PP continues to "find" this on my system - I continue to ignore it and never have any trouble with SB's entry being unchecked. Glad Genicus jogged my memory as I thought I was losin' it! :D

13. habari42

Thanks Diamond,Mike.themag and genicus. That seems to have sorted it out. I tried putting XXXToolbar (with it's CLSIDs) into SB's Custom Blocks and found that the original entry continues to be unchecked but but the two Custom entries stay checked !! Don't know if that has any significance thought I'd mention it. Cheers, Haba.

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

xxxtoolbar is also included in IE-SPYAD and the SpyBlocker program, so it could be getting blitzed in those two, also.

PP is great software, ain't it? (I haven't experienced the problem myself, due to the glaring lack of the afore-mentioned program (PP) on this computer. Pete

15. themag

themag Guest

so are you saying pest partrol is not very good i have it and i think it is alright

16. Diamond T

Diamond T Registered Member

Maybe PP is alright but I never take it's word for anything. I always get a "2nd opinion" as anything PP has ever found for me has been a f/p. PP has been criticized in the past for a lot of f/p though I think there has been some improvement there. I have only ever used the on-line PestScan but I believe the data bases are the same. This is really only my opinion though which was formed less by personal experience than by reading many, many post in different forums about PP problems.

17. SillySally

SillySally Registered Member

I am a relative newbie, but I added xxxtoolbar.com to my "hosts" list. I don't know if that will help, but it makes me feel better! :)

18. bigben

bigben Guest

I also noticed Spysweeper will find "coolwww" & if deleted it removes protection in Spyware Blaster (restricted sites protection) "coolwebsearch(233)". This may have been posted elsewhere, but i thought i would include it here for convenience.

19. MarilynMW

MarilynMW Registered Member

okay, I can't get rid of this xxxtoolbar either. It just keeps returning, I have ran spybot, hijackthis, spyblaster, BPS and Norton internet security 2004 and this thing still keeps popping back up. Was there a resolution to this situation or are we just stuck with this little bugger? and what does Spyblaster say about this situation?

20. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi MarilynMW, and welcome.

The other members in this thread are referring to other security apps removing SpywareBlaster's protection, but if you think your system is infected, then you might want to post a hijackthis log over in the adware/spyware/hijack cleaning forum. See this link for instructions on how to do that: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.