Xvirus Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Xvirus, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

JUST A BIG WARNING!!

I installed it to try, liked it and actually bought one lifetime license. Fine, it seemed to be working. Then I got to wondering if I really needed ask on outbound, since I do have control over what runs. Happened to open ERP and noticed on the events tab, CMD was constantly running Netstat. It would run about once every two or 3 seconds. And while I didn't see an impact on the system I wasn't thrilled. So I attempted an uninstall. Could not get rid of it.

Even with the folder in Program files gone, and it not showing up in Program etc, I'd reboot, and the darn thing was back. I am not sure how. I finally got rid of it with a Macrium restore.

Be aware if you are going to try this, to be sure to have a trusty disk image to restore.

Pete

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi @Peter2150
    It happened to me once, that the uninstall didn't complete on first attempt, and most files associated with it remained. So, I did a reinstall (without reboot) and then again try to uninstall, and that time I succeeded. It didn't reappear on reboot.

Note: The uninstallation problem didn't happen other two times I uninstalled it.

I am using Win 10 Pro 64 bit...
    It seems that the uninstaller needs some work.

3. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

That's strange what os were you running? Was Xvirus Personal Firewall active when you tried to uninstall? Did the unninstaller show any error messages. The netstat thing is used to get the "network monitor" tool the information it needs.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Windows 7 x64. No. errors. I did close the firewall first. And after the 1st reboot, I looked and the program files folder was gone, rebooted again and it was back. I can see netstat running once or twice, but continuously no, I don't like that.

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@Dani Santos
    Few points...
    1. After installing the application I saw that it has already granted outgoing permission to few apps, including Microsoft and non-Microsoft programs. I accept that Microsoft programs can be granted but why non Microsoft programs (antivirus etc.) also granted auto-permission? Does the software maintain a cloud based whitelist? If so, there should be an option to disable that.
    2. When a program asks outbound connection, it shows a prompt, but until I accept/reject, the program is allowed to connect. I saw that a download has completed because I didn't respond to the outgoing connection prompt (prompt windows was open) of the download manager. This is not right, the firewall should pause the applications outgoing connection attempt (and not altogether block it), until I respond.
    3. After I choose "block" in the outgoing prompt, the firewall terminate the application. This is also not right. It should terminate its network connectivity, not the application altogether.
    4. Please show the address of the file (or an option to open file location) when that attempts outbound connection.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  6. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

I decided to test the firewall and the free version seems ok, as its warning work similar to a hips. It even warned chrome opening for the first time. I have not tested its pro features as they are not free, so I can not comment on their effectiveness. I like its simpleness. By the way I love it when it picked up when windows 10 tried to sneak mobile app updating and I blocked it.

I am using it along with xvirus personal guard, emsisoft AM and secureaplus with offline AV and all seem to work fine.

I love to test the pro version and hopefully one day when get the chance.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@Dani Santos Have you noticed the points mentioned by me in my earlier post?

8. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

1. It allows safe apps running on the first run. That is a good ideia.
    2. It should be pausing the applications. Thats strange. Ill check that
    3. That is not available yet. But I'm working on it.
    4. Thanks for another ideia. I'll work on it too.

9. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

is it possible to see a picture of the allow/block prompt when a new app is trying to connect out?

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

11. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

12. porrkanon

porrkanon Registered Member

thanks !

13. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I don't quite understand the point of this firewall..I expected it to give me smart type responses to allow or disallow programs outbound..It does except it blocks the program from running blacklisting I guess..Is it simply a front end for windows inbuilt firewall, if so there are better options!

Anyway, there's a offer for the full (pro) version here, free...3 days and 10 hours UK times...

http://sharewareonsale.com/s/xvirus-personal-firewall-pro-giveaway-coupon-sale

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running the Pro version on a Win. 10 64 laptop and it seems to be doing ok at this time. I know it is not a definitive test but here is a screen shot of the results of the GRC Shields UP test.

Attached Files:

• grc.PNG
      grc.PNG
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  15. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

did not do too good with comodo firewall wall test 150 out of 300
    i tested with pro version

16. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I noticed that it will not stop the GRC Leak Test. When I first ran the leak test Xvirus asked if I wanted to allow or block. I chose to block it and it still was allowed. I then looked at the rules and found that Xvirus had created a rule to allow the leak test. I deleted the rule and manually created a new rule to block the leak test and tried it run it again. Xvirus STILL let it run and would not block this test. How can we have any confidence in this firewall if it behaves this way and fails a most basic test?

17. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

Sorry about that. I'll check what happened and fix it.

18. IvoShoen

Any updates?

19. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

It was fixed on version 4.2.3

20. IvoShoen

Version 4.2.3 still FAILS the GRC Leak Test (https://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm) even after adding the file to the block list.

Attached Files:

21. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

Xvirus Personal Firewall 4.4 released.
    Download

Changelog:
    Improved Firewall;
    Improved Ransomware Watcher;
    Improved Memory Watcher;
    Improved Process Termination;
    Improved Cloud Protection;
    Improved Adware Protection;
    Bugs fixed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  22. IvoShoen

I get this when attempting to go to your site:

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from xvirus.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

This server could not prove that it is xvirus.net; its security certificate expired 88 days ago. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Saturday, January 14, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

23. guest

guest Guest

Link should be http, not https.

24. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I just installed this and when I tried to right click on an established connection at add it to blocked list nothing happened. the connection remains.

25. Xvirus

Xvirus Dani Santos

Fixed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.