Xubuntu - unwanted kde pkgs. installed by themselves

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

First noticed here.
    On my desktop there could be an explanation as I have k3b, subtitle composer, but why nepomuk.
    On my wife's laptop there are no kde installs, so I have no idea.

Can someone with Xubuntu 12.04 and Xfce 4.10 check to see if they also have kde stuff installed even if not running any kde apps. ?

Do you see kde stuff in the output of the following ? (The 's' will only do a simulated remove)

sudo apt-get remove -s kdelibs*
    sudo apt-get remove -s kde*

Edit: 64 bit systems, haven't seen it on 32 bit.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

I was running that exact setup until about a month ago, but don't remember seeing your original thread. I don't remember having any KDE stuff and I never had KDE programs, but did have a few qt things for Virutalbox.

I do have a package list of everything in a fresh 64 bit Xubuntu Precise install and searching the file for kde gave no results. If you want, i'll post it here. Sorry I can't tell you more, but if you're somehow bringing in Kmail as said in your first thread, that seems you're pulling in all kinds of weird stuff for programs you're adding. Check Synaptic and apt for whether you're treating recommended packages as dependencies. This can omit a lot of useless and unrelated things.

For apt, look in /usr/share/apt/apt.conf.d/99Synaptic. It should say 'Apt Install-recommends: False'. IIRC, this was default on my Xubuntu install. You've got to manually set Synaptic. Go to Settings>Preferences and uncheck 'Consider recommended packages as dependencies'.

Maybe that will help.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks, awkwardp.

Not to worry, I will just leave as is. You see absolutely zero kde apps. were installed on my wife's laptop and yet she has kde packages (not apps.) installed.
    Very strange indeed. I have installed many distros over the years and have never seen this before, unless of course I installed some kde app.
    Otherwise speed of Xubuntu is top drawer.

I will look at that when I boot into Xubuntu next time. Thanks.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/k3b

k3b depends on kde-runtime which in turn pulls in a lot of KDE dependencies, which obviously makes sense.

I had a Xubuntu VM and never had any KDE libs, has something being installed in the past the depended on them ?

Have you tried the following command (which will remove unneeded packages) ?

apt-get autoremove

Cheers Nick.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

My Xubuntu is OK as I have a few kde apps. installed. As regards the wife's laptop (which has no kde apps.), I removed the many installed kde packages (again) as follows..
    apt-get remove kdelibs*
    apt-get autoremove
    removed all residual config in Synaptic
    deleted .kde folder in ~/
    deleted akondi file in ~/.local/share/applications
    Now there is nothing when running dpkg -l | grep kde
    I hope this will be the end of it.

Thanks Nick, and belated congratulations !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.