Xubuntu 12.10 review - Very nice

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Welcome to the revolution: a long and extremely enthusiastic review of Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal 64-bit edition with Xfce desktop environment, covering live session, installation in a quadruple-boot setup on a laptop with SSD and post-install usage, including Wireless, Samba, look & feel, customization, multimedia playback - MP3 and Flash, applications, Ubuntu Software Center and installation of non-Xfce programs, system resources, system responsiveness, stability, suspend & resume, extremely short boot times, and small quirks like Thunar not preserving network share bookmarks, confusing logout & reboot button and printing/firewall problems, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-quetzal.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Nice review! Do take a look at Snowlinux's 3 Cinnamon release. Based on Quantum Quantzal, the Faenza icons are just lovely! Professional looking Cinnamon menu. :thumb:

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

the crash you miss i guess is volume icon crash but overall xubuntu is much better than ubuntu or kubuntu as its pretty close to what we miss on old gnome 2.32 also linux mint i didnt tried it yet but lt look very delicious

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_maya_xfce_whatsnew.php#xfce

best part xfce 4.10 + good old mint menu + Out of box experiance + support non-PAE kernel too + LTS :argh:

the only thing thats make me feel bad about xubuntu 12.10 is they dont support non-pae kernel any more :rolleyes:

like aways one your best review about ubuntu Mrk

its good to hear finally you think xfce is also good desktop alternative :))

4. mack_guy911

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Nice review Mrk, I agree with your assessment :thumb: I've been running x386 version (found it a bit more stable than x64) on my hardware for a while now, and it runs fast and efficient :)

6. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

hows the firewall on that version ?

sadly thats the one topic that really seems to be lacking in a desktop version of most of the gnu~linux versions iv messed with so far.

even Guarddog is like meh, and about as advanced as firewalls for windows 3.11.
    fire-starter not that much better,then theirs gufw .... meh....

don't know why but i have a real soft spot for the final version of zone alarm 5.5 on my win98se box,now that's what i call a gui,clean simple and to the point with good advanced options, its old school though.

7. mack_guy911

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I don't use a gui based fw, just ufw and set rules for example:
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow out proto tcp from any to any port 80, 443
    and it works perfectly fine :)

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Mrk,

Did you happen to try camera (pptp) automounting ?
    Something that I could not get to work, usb flash drives fine, but not with my camera in Thunar or Shotwell/GThumb.
    Works totally fine with Nautilus Shotwell in Ubuntu.

Cheers, Nick

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Install the graphical front-end GUFW and simply enable the firewall! :thumb:

11. moontan

moontan Registered Member

trying this at the moment.

it is very nice indeed, the equal of Mint XFCE or just a hair better, imo.

now, if Ubuntu can get that rolling releases thing underway and working good then it'll be perfect. :p

12. moontan

after a couple of days i found 12.10 Xubuntu to buggy a little.

the same partitions sometimes show up twice on the file manager and i sometimes have to reload webpages because clicking on an hyperlink does nothing.

apparently, there seems to be quite a few users experiencing problems with 12.10.

i'm back to Mint XFCE 14 for the time being because i'm not having those problems.

13. moontan

anyway, i gonnna give the 13.04 Beta a try; it supposedly have quite a few fixes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.