xubuntu 12.10 awesome

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

xubuntu 12.10 is truly awesome experiance if any one looking for ubuntu upgrade that worth i guess its xubuntu 12.10

i guess mrk should review it its 1st xubuntu which is not dull strange also it have secure boot and xfce 4.10 so lot of great stuff after some makeup nice usable desktop :)

Edit: i am telling form live cd experiance no real install so please correct me if i am wrong

also please do all tweaking on live cd instead of messing your real system or vbox if you have enough disk space :))

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. mack_guy911

3. mack_guy911

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Using xfce 4.10 added via on Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, this on my AMD C50 powered ASUS 1015B netbook. It makes this underpowered netbook far snappier than using Unity and also makes it run cooler.

Once you can figure out the basics of running XFCE, you don't ever miss the old gnome, everything gnome 2 did, xfce does and does it as good if not better.

5. mack_guy911

yes i agree its becoming closer to good old gnome 2x not perfect but not bad either best is light on resources and when needed it act fast with power with 64 bit so its somewhere between :))

and with dockbarx i am enjoying my day with it its kinda window7 + Xp + little bit of mac fusion :D

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You're right mack_guy, this awesome :) It's definitely snappier than Ubuntu 12.04 running on my 2005 gaming-level desktop. I've added Libre office with MS fonts, Apparmor Utils and Chrome with an enforced Apparmor profile.

7. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

yes, it is true

8. wat0114

This distro actually reminds me of the enthusiasm I felt over Mint a few years ago, except this one is like a nimble Spartan with all the features one would find in a "heavier" distro. My older hardware handles this so effortlessly :)

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What do you think of Mint 13 Xfce? I tried out both for a few minutes last night, and Mint looked a bit more full featured to me.. Or am I missing something?

10. wat0114

I've no idea, having not tried mint of any version for a long time. It may just be more full-featured, but I don't mind starting out less than that, as long as I can add via ppa, or whatever, any extras I need. I've been able to do this so far with xubuntu :)

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've been using Mint 13, various editions, and liking it for a while, on and off. Xubuntu does look very nice though... :)

12. linuxforall

Have you tried Lubuntu?

13. wat0114

I can say with certainty that even after disabling all the effects in Ubuntu 12.04, it still ran more resource heavy than Xubuntu, although Ubuntu was still a nice user experience, an excellent distro. It's just that since Xubuntu provides everything i could possibly need with significantly less impact, I may as well use it instead.

Actually, yes, and in fact it's installed on my son's even lower end P4 pc dual boot with Windows XP, before mack_guy intrigued me with this thread on xubuntu :) It seems anything Ubuntu-related can't go wrong.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  14. linuxforall

Ubuntu runs brilliant on my unlocked Phenom II desktop with 8GB and my laptop with icore7 and 8GB but for the little netbook, Xubuntu is perfect fit.

15. wat0114

Nice hardware specs, there :thumb: It ran fine on my rig too, but with a bit of occasional brief sluggishness. Not a show stopper at all, only that xubuntu takes things a step further by ironing out those wrinkles. I just don't feel I'm missing anything of significance by "downgrading" to Xubuntu.

16. linuxforall

Actually I have SNA enabled as well on my Intel HD3000 laptop with Ubuntu 12.10, its stable as a rock there. On the desktop I have the LTS and it has a ancient low end nvidia 8400GS and with latest nvidia drivers from xswat ppa. That machine is quite stable as well but the netbook got a new lease of life with Xubuntu, I must admit that. I have refrained from adding the xfce 4.10 ppa and kept it original LTS for now for stability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.