Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal review - Struggling

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Let's talk Ubuntu again. This time, a review of Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, a Ubuntu edition with Xfce desktop, covering live session, installation and post-install use; topics include Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia playback - MP3, Flash, applications, system resources, stability, suspend and resume, look and feel, settings, many small problems like default programs, decorations, confusing menu items, and more. If you're thinking Xubuntu could be your next Ubuntu system now that Unity and Gnome 3 are out, you ought to take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-natty.html

Regards,
    Mrk

2. 031

031 Registered Member

Excellent review as usual :thumb: :thumb: . Thanks Mrk.

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I never did like Xubuntu or xfce of any distro. It's just too spartan and, yes, dull, to suit my taste. I've concluded that I'm going to force myself to like Unity even if it kills me...which it might. ;).

Nice review, Mrk.

Later...

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Good review as always. I'm with Trespasser on the opinion of xfce (with the exception of dreamlinux). However, if I am going to forgo eye-candy, I want something that is solid and relatively bug free. And it is the type of bugs Mrk pointed out that drive me crazy, the ones that seem to be an easy fix. Still, I have not tried this one for a while, so maybe I will give it a spin.

5. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Zenwalk has the highest ranking on distrowatch for a distro using xfce as it's primary desktop and is rather nice. IMO it's the better option for an xfce 4.8 experience.

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I installed Natty 32bit on my HP laptop this morning and actually it's quite nice. I didn't have any trouble at all. There's a number of tweaks out that allows one to remove launchers and if you install cairo-dock then you pretty much have everything you need right at hand. I didn't install the Nvidia proprietary driver but instead went with the experimental driver. Unity is definitely different compared to Gnome 2 but that's not a bad thing. Besides, Gnome 2 is no longer under development so you might as well start embracing the change.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.