Xteq-Xsetup 6.3 now available.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by spy1, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

X-Setup Version 6.3
    - Update to fix bugs and add more plug-ins
    - FIX: "i" button was enable directly after startup
    - FIX: "i" button was enabled after re-reading all plug-in and plug-in was activated before
    - FIX: "i" button stayed enabled when deleting a plug-in
    - FIX: Fixed spelling error inside the Welcome window
    - FIX: Fixed spelling error inside the Favorites menu
    - FIX: Fixed spelling error inside X-Update
    - FIX: When a plug-in was deleted, it remained active inside the window
    - FIX: When a plug-in had more than one UI path, and was deleted, the other UI paths remained inside XSET
    - FIX: Hopefully fixed the "RichEdit line insertion failure" that popped up as soon as RICHED20.DLL Version 5.40 or higher was installed. Thanks to Peter Below (TeamB) (100113.1101@compuXXserve.com) for his posting in "borland.public.delphi.vcl.components.using" at "2002-05-13 11:34:03 PST" which pointed us in the right direction
    - MISC: The X-Setup Control Panel icon will now be listed in the category "Performance and Maintenance" when using the "Category View" of Control Panel in Windows XP and upwards
    - MISC: Included new icon (xset2.ico) for X-Setup from Lim Chee Aun

Available through this link: http://www.xteq.com/

2. sk

sk Registered Member

Re:Xteq-Xsetup 6.3 now available. [I have a question about Xsetup]

Hi. I have a general question about Xsetup, and since I didn't see a separate forum for it, I thought this would be the most appropriate place to ask. In the past I've used other 'tweak' programs, and have sometimes run into the problem, even with Tweak UI, where even though the program was supposed to scan my system and keep everything intact the way it was before the program loaded unless I specifically changed something, it didn't end up working that way. And as a result, I literally had to go through each and every setting to make sure nothing changed. One program removed the 'open with' option in W2K, and I REALLY didn't appreciate that. I had to hunt through each and every menu item to finally find the one that had gotten reconfigured. So I'm just trying to find out how Xsetup works before having to d/l, install, and go through anything like that again.

The absolute WORST nightmare story was with XP and TweakUI for XP. I'd always used TweakUI for 98SE, so I didn't give it a second thought. TweakUI for XP was one of the first utilites I loaded back when I was running XP. All of a sudden, after rebooting, it demanded a password. Back then, I hadn't even ENTERED an admin password when I installed XP, so I had nothing to give it. No matter what I did, I COULD NOT ACCESS MY SYSTEM. I had to reinstall from scratch. It wasn't TOO bad, because I hadn't even loaded any programs yet; as I said, TweakUI for XP was one of the first things I loaded. But I went through this at least 3 more times before finally tracing it back to TweakUI for XP. And the only way I even was able to do THAT was by making a floppy 'passkey password', which at least got me INTO my system enough to uninstall TweakUI for XP once and for all. I have never met anyone else who had this problem, but I guarantee it definitely happened to me. So between that, and losing the "Open With" context option that happened with another 'Tweak' program, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any problems with Xsetup.

sk

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

sk - The problems you may have will be directly proportional to how well you set the program up to run to start with.

Update it with all available plug-ins from the screen you get when you click to start the program - click on the "X-Update for X-Setup" link there.

Then click on the "X-Setup Default UI" link and go to "File/Options".

On the "Security" tab, make sure both selections get check-marked.

On the "Display" tab, make sure you have the second option (OS Version) checked - that way, you'll not see anything but plug-ins that pertain to your OS. (If you're really nervous about making any kind of "system critical" changes, you can un-check the box on that tab under "Hide").

Go through each tab and set the rest of your preferences.

Probably the most critical part comes next - do not rush through this part - reading each and every category (branch them all out so you can see them all) to see and understand exactly what plug-ins are available and exactly what they'll do). There's an explanation given as to what each one does. There are also options to reverse whatever you do change.

Making as few changes at a time as you can will also help you keep track of any problems that arise.

The "Help" and "FAQ" files are required reading (as with any piece of software you choose to use) if you want to get the most benefit from the program.

Hope something in here helped address your concerns. Pete

4. sk

sk Registered Member

Very much so. Thank you very much.

sk

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.