XP's retirement will be hacker heaven

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

"Hacker heaven"
    "Zero day forever"
    What's next? Armagedon?

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Microsoft has issued in excess of 150 patches for XP and it remains vulnerable.
    Windows 7 and Windows 8 have been compromised.
    I'm suggesting that the issue of MS support is overblown.

An intelligent user employing an up to date browser, virtualization, resource monitoring, and safe surfing practices is as secure as a user running Windows 7 or 8.

If you look for trouble you will find it.

Avoid known infected websites and maintain due diligence as no mouse click is unequivocally without risk regardless of the operating system.

4. guest

guest Guest

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well said.

In my opinion from experience, XP has had the most attention of any MS o/s past or present from security vendors to independent developers effectively giving XP the absolute best choices for solid security even without patches.

Although i avoided suggesting against patching or updating for other user's machines, i stopped completely at SP2 due to throwing every conceivable POC, vicious viruses and rootkits, as well as the dreaded hard drive killers MBR infectors in local testings because of the effectiveness from so many different choices of security XP user's had to choose from.

So while i might agree MS warnings about XP for the unlearned are status quo and standard procedure of caution,reality is if properly configured, MS statements are completely overblown.

6. PCFD

PCFD Registered Member

Do you think I can "survive" with XP, if I just keep using my ZoneAlarm Antivirus+Firewall & returnil (protecting C: partition) ? or do I need additional help?

Thanks

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The Risk of Running Windows XP After Support Ends April 2014
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/security...of-running-windows-xp-after-support-ends.aspx

8. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

What browser are you using ?
    It's obviously your choice, but if security is a real concern to you Internet Explorer is not- in my opinion- the best choice.
    I would opt for Firefox with Adblock Plus and Flashblock. The Chrome browser also has a great reputation. Either, properly employed, should give better protection than IE.

Whichever browser you choose, I strongly recommend you run it inside of Sandboxie unless you must have an application incompatible with SBIE such as Trusteer Rapport. Even if you are using Returnil, SBIE lends another layer of protection, has low impact on system resources, and there is a freeware version.

Also consider a strong HIPS/Behavior Blocker and if you haven't already done so, take the time to learn how to properly configure your firewall.

Finally, turn off system resources you don't use but allow for outbound communication. These include but are not limited to Windows Messenger and Remote Assistance. Unless you specifically need them, they shouldn't be enabled.

That's a modest beginning.
    Good luck !

Edit: I failed to mention that if you use Java or Flash, be sure to keep them fully patched as both are favorite targets for malware.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Undead and zombie bugs?? I had to ask what's next. Stooping to terms like these is going past overblown, bordering on childish and insulting to the users intelligence.

10. PCFD

PCFD Registered Member

Thanks for the input!

I wasn't sure if I needed Sandboxie with Returil

Oh yeah, I forgot the browser, sorry;
    Firefox with NoScript, ADBlock Plus, RequestPolicy

11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The awareness campaign is not a bad idea, because not everybody knows that starting from April next year, the XP users will no longer receive updates. But exaggerating the threat helps nobody. I'd rather see warnings like: "XP support will end, be more careful about your security" than stories about "undead bug" and "zero day forever".

But IMO, the real reason behind these articles is Microsoft pushing its new OS to users, in order to get more money. In other words, a marketing campaign.

12. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Yes I think there is a lot of FUD spreading going on. I think that I'll be ok with my xp sp3 (which I like using) with Shadow Defender, Sandboxie, a firewall, an anti virus and No Autorun and a regular backup with Casper 7.0. Oh I forgot my Window Washer 3.0 :) (still happily using it).

13. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Windows 8 is 21 times safer than XP, and 6 times safer than Windows 7

http://betanews.com/2013/08/16/windows-8-is-21-times-safer-than-xp-and-6-times-safer-than-windows-7/

Well I'm on Win 7 but 6 x 0 is still = 0 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.