XPlite any experience?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by starfish_001, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Considering buying XPlite to slim down my xp install - any comments welcome? good or bad - is it worth doing?

/ XPlite and 2000lite are powerful configuration utilities for Windows creating a modular Windows operating system where YOU are in control.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

YOU CHOOSE!
    With XPlite and 2000lite we give YOU the power to set up YOUR machine the way YOU want! The power to remove unwanted features, the power to remove upgrades that go bad, the power to strip potential security and privacy threats out by the roots. /

Review here
    http://www.tweakhound.com/reviews/xplite/index.htm

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use it, and it's a great program to remove things of Windows that we don't use... ;)

3. starfish_001

How much have you actually removed?

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I make a clean install on my system recently, and still didn't removed nothing because I need to install a lot of Windows programs, and only after some time, I will remove the items...

You only have to check carefully what you want to remove, and then you will have your system much quicker and smaller... ;)

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can do that for free using nlite, if you want.
    I would not recommend it, though.
    Removing programs / parts of installation will remove all files associated with these programs, although they might be shared by other programs - you might encounter sound / graphic card etc. problems later on without knowing it.
    Do you really need to slim down the installation? It's only 600Mb.
    Despite Microsoft being what it is, that CD is actually optimized to run as it is.
    If it ain't fixed, don't broke it ...
    Mrk

6. starfish_001

nlite works with the install disk where as Xplite works with installed version so they are a bit different

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yep, I don't recommend the nLite because of that...

8. starfish_001

I have used Nlite a few times to add custom drivers etc to an XP build but ....

I'm more interested in the removal and repair capabilities of Xplite:)

9. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

is it even legal for them to distribute a rebranded version windows..?

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use nLite. My install disk went from ~570MB (SP2) to ~290MB. Quite happy with the results.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i use nlite as well but it is trial and error, and can be time consuming if u remove too much the first time. also like starfish said, xplite works for existing installations and nlite works for making custom installation cds.

12. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have used both XPlite and nlite. They are all fine, and they both have their own problems. I am using nlite because it is more suitable for my needs and it is free. I have two discs for my Windows XP Pro, one is the original SP1 purchased and the another one is SP2 obtained free from Microsoft. Each time when I re-install Windows XP, it is time consuming. I have to install SP1 first and then SP2. nlite helps me to combine these two discs together and silm down the installation file to around 300M. More important, it only takes me about 15 minutes to install Windows XP with this slim down version of XP (instead of originally one hour and more). I am happy with it. My advice for using nlite is, (1) Spend some time reading througn the posts at nlite forum. It would give some idea on what Windows components you should keep. (2) When you slim down the installation file, you should keep youself from being too greedy on space. It often happens that a user tries to delete everything, and then find out that his/her Windows can not function properly because some drivers needed are deleted. This is not the software's fault, but the user's. nlite does not know what to do, but only takes instructions from the user. IMHO, XPlite is more flexible. The user can delete and recover components all the time. But it is not free, and it can not slim XP down as much as nlite can do. nlite is less flexible. It is only 'one time deal'. However, once the user has successfully made the slim down installation file/disc, the user can use it all the time, and Windows installation time can be considerably shorter.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Excellent points yahoo.

14. starfish_001

Guys as I said I have used nlite but.....

My question is about Xplite they are different. Please no more nlite

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

from the screenshots, xplite seems limited in what it can remove. most of the stuff seems from the start menu (games, media player, etc). if they offer a money back guarantee, i suggest u try it and see how it works for u. u should also consider how badly u want to remove those windows components, it wont remove that much space and u can just remove the shortcuts to the offending programs.

16. starfish_001

Yes the demo cant' really remove much but the pro version seems to be able to

I read a PCW article the other day and they talked of 40% reduction in the installed size without taking too many essentials down to about 5oo mb total for xp ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.