XPLite - Activation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm talking about this software :
    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

I installed XPLite twice on two different test IMAGES.
    Because I have only ONE computer, I use real images and test images, to give my computer different system partitions for different purposes. Restoring these image with SP is fast and easy (less than 1 minut upto 6 minuts)
    Since the 'dangerous' nature of this software, I like to try this software first, before I use it on my actual system.

Suddenly, while I was working on a spreadsheet with info about XPLite, I get a popup menu that my license of XPLite is terminated.
    Not only that, my computer was also TURNED OFF (SHUTDOWN) as a punishment.
    I also lost my spreadsheet, because I wasn't fast enough to safe it due to that sudden unpleasant surprise.
    My login on their website was also invalid, neither the username or password, given by them, didn't work anymore.
    I contacted the support, I'm waiting for a response.

You see where these activations are going.
    Due to a wrong case of piracy, my computer was turned off and I lost two hours of work.
    What next ? A hardware virus that infects my motherboard as punishment ?
    I call this a pure abuse of power. Turning off my computer made me really angry.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Wow. Thats wrong.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

From reading the website your experience doesn't sound like intended design:

xplite.jpg

Windows sometimes pops up a reminder to reboot the computer after it installed security updates.
    One click on the return key and off you go, no matter what you are doing...

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Wow that is a bit cheeky, how'd they get commands like that through your security?

6. tradetime

He makes good points, you see it on here on a smaller scale quite a lot, people have been to Black Viper and the like and disabled lot's of sevices, most of which they don't really understand, then some months later they install something and it won't work cause it needs one of those services, but they don't realize cause they didn't really know what the service did in the first place, just that disabling them had no obvious bad effect at the time.

7. ErikAlbert

That was certainly not the case, right after the XPLite-message, my computer shutdown and only an activated Windows and XPLite were installed on my computer, it was one of my test images.
    The free trial of XPLite is very crippled, you can only remove a few components, not the major ones, they are all disabled with the remark "(pro)", which means only for XPLite Pro, the one you need to buy with activation.

The software companies don't talk much about their activation, because they know already that it is a pain for the user and the trial version doesn't use activation of course. They hide it as long as possible, including ShadowProtect.

8. ErikAlbert

The bottom line is that you don't have the FREEDOM anymore to re-install softwares with activation, whenever you want and this can be very annoying.
    I'm really afraid now to re-install my computer from scratch.

That's why I use the Recovery CD of ShadowProtect to backup/restore my system partition and my MAIN backup (data partition) is done with Karen's Replicator, because I can depend on KR.
    I can't rely on ShadowProtect anymore, because I don't know in advance if I can install and use it or not.

The activation method is NOT based on your HARDWARE and that's why these activations are so fragile and it all ends up that you are considered as a pirate, when something goes wrong with this activation and then you can explain to the support why you need a re-activation and hopefully they believe you and give your license back.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That certainly sounds correct. And most computer users won't even notice.
    It's just you and us, who like to fiddle with computers, learn from mistakes and implement new ideas every week.

I have noticed something during the past year:
    When I actively contribute with bug reports and customer input in support forums or otherwise, it does get the attention of tech support and management.
    As a result the involved software company has a very courteous attitude towards me.

And I'm glad that I'm in the position to use my enthousiasm for this technology in a contributive way.

10. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

@ ERIK.

I do seem to remember that you did try nLite as well some time ago, which encouraged me to use it myself.

I understand that it would be much better to be able to uninstall Windows components AFTER installation with XPLite, but was there something about nLite that you didnt like, or caused you to not use it to build your own version of Windows?

The version that I built with nLite is....OK.....but nothing spectacular as I am sure there are many other things that I could have omitted, but didnt through having insufficient knowledge of dependencies etc.

I also think that Activation will push more and more people towards Open Source and Free software if there is such an alternative. It might even persuade more software writers towards Open Source too........hopefully. I know that some of the Open Source programs that I use are very good indeed, as with regard to security software such as encryption, there is of course nothing hidden, and NO Activation.

11. ErikAlbert

I was a fan of nLite for awhile, but since my problem with activating Windows, I'm not so enthousiastic anymore.

The problem is this :
    1. I create a customized WinXPproSP2.
    2. I install it, activate it and everything seems fine at first sight.
    3. Two months later, I have a problem because I REMOVED too much with nLite.
    4. That means for me, that I have to create another WinXPproSP2 to avoid that problem in the future.
    But I have only 3 internet-activations and the only alternative is a phone-activation. I don't want a phone-activation again. 96 digit + 8 digits of the phone number, that is 104 digits for one activation, that is 4 times more than a serial number.

So the problem with nLite is that I can't go back as many times I want.
    The advantage of XPLite is that I can go back as many times I want. I only have to care about one thing, an IMAGE of an original Windows installed + XPlite.

Images are the only way to avoid a RESET of these activations, not that I'm happy with this.
    I pay for my softwares and after that, I want to install and re-install these softwares as many times I want. I don't have that freedom anymore with these activations. I'm now a SLAVE of these companies and I have to beg them to reset my activations AT HOME, the only place where I still can do what I want.

These companies have now the power over users and can ask what they want.
    You bought a new computer Erik, your activation doesn't work, please pay for another license or you only get a new license, when you upgrade to our latest version for $30. That's what will happen in the future.
    It's all very friendly at this moment, but that won't last forever : money, money, money, if they don't want to pay make them pay.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Look at the pattern.

It's undeniable that more & more such aggravations are trying to become an embedded part of SOME software products. You really have to keep with those companies that DO afford customers some fair amount of FREEDOM and steer far away from those GREEDY others when it's confirmed about their dodgy practices.
    And on a further note, if they keep it going in that manner no one is going to even bother with their crafts anyway.

Another reason i have always tried to keep an even balance between COST WORTHY programs & FREEWARE/OPEN-SOURCE!!!

13. noway

noway Registered Member

Alternative #1: Windows 2000

Alternative #2: Linux

Alternative #3: "Arrr, Billy, 'ave you ever been to sea?"

14. ErikAlbert

Latest update :
    I have my XPLite license back + login that works + new version of 150 removable components + sincere apologizes.
    The support couldn't really give me an answer that satisfied me. They told me that their server had an unusual amount (hundreds) of requests for "Checking Updates" that day and that my license was blocked this way. I certainly didn't run a check for updates. No explanation for the shutdown.
    They call it a glitch, the usual excuse if they don't know or don't want to tell the truth. I certainly don't see the connection between both events.
    I've spent already more than enough time on this so called "glitch". I give them a second chance. What else can I do, I'm their slave now. :rolleyes:

15. Long View

Erik if this had happened to me I would use my non-activated Acronis to remove this crapware and revert to a "clean" image. If they can't run their activation safely how will you know if they are removing bits that are needed ?

Also - apart from the fun of "mine is smaller than yours" what is the real point of
    XPlite ? Does the system really run faster ? If so then a free version will be along before long.

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've used xplite for a while now and haven't experienced anything like that. I've used it on different systems as well, although never at the same time. Very strange indeed!

17. Long View

perhaps it works in the same way as Paperport. when you install it activates and when you uninstall it deactivates .

Using FD-ISR though I can see no reason to install more than once. You install to a snap short and then simply make copies for testing.

Using Xplite do you notice any real benefit or is it just fun to remove ouitlook express etc ?

18. tradetime

I've often wondered this with this type of software, I'm sure it would be possible to do things to my system that would make it run/respond faster, but frankly it runs/responds quite fast enough as it is. I have never found myself thinking wouldn't it be nice if I could shave 6 seconds off the boot time or make that program open 1.5 seconds faster. But then maybe that's just me.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Too true....Im getting fed up with these activation regulations,and restrictions.I recently had to purchase roboform AGAIN,because during the course of a day i installed it 3 times.Had w98se which ,had some issues ,so decided to reinstall.Put on firefox and roboform.Changed my mind and decided to try that w2000pro disk that i purchased a while back ,so i "upgraded" over w98se.Reinstalled firefox and roboform.I realised it was a bad mistake upgrading over w98se ,as i essentially had w2000 and w98se on my harddrive.So then i formatted my hardrive and did a clean install of 2000 pro.Reinstalled firefox and couldnt activate roboform because id "used" it too many times.Needless to say i was very angry about this.Im just waiting for an app thats as good as roboform so i can ditch it and its draconian activations for good.They dont tell you anything about this until you get the activation refused.
    ellison

20. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

At the VERY least, they should inform users of activation limits BEFORE you're over the limit. Limits should be disclosed at point of purchase, or even upon 1st activation. It's just good business sense. It's like a EULA that can be changed afterwardso_O

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Did you try contacting them and explaining what happened?

22. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally i find it very beneficial. I'm very particular about having my OS a certain way and xplite helps me to achieve this, whether it be trimming down the OS or improving security or whatever. Also if anything goes wrong it allows me to easily reinstall that part of windows. I wouldn't say its a must have but its very handy for those who like to customize.

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Yes i did and they said i needed a multiple user license,so i guess they didn't believe me.As far as im concerned if i buy a license and install a hundred times ,i t shouldn't matter if its on my original OS.
    ellison

24. ErikAlbert

they didn't believe me
    This is a real problem. As long they believe your story, they will reset your activation. If not YOU are in trouble and they might force you to buy another license. Keep in mind that you don't have always the choice to use ANOTHER software, in case you don't want to buy another license. If you created alot of files with a software, you can't ditch that software easily.

There is also a problem, when you replace your old computer with a new computer, which might be considered as a second computer by the software company, even when the old computer is broke.

i t shouldn't matter if its on my original OS
    It shouldn't matter indeed, but not based on your original OS.
    The activation should be based on the identification of one or more real hardware components, which are stored in the customer database of the software company and that makes a good activation possible.

Once you re-install the software the company compares your Machine ID with theirs.
    If they match, the company knows that you're installing the software on the same machine = no piracy.
    If they don't match, the company knows that you're installing the software on another computer = piracy.
    Of course, this raises again the question : is it really a new computer, if it replaces your old computer ?
    In the future, this might end up in buying new licenses, when you buy another computer, even when it replaces the old one and this is going to be very expensive.
    The problems with activations aren't over yet, wait a few years and we will hear more stories about these activations.

25. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

You talk a lot about activation...Why don't you just use some other software?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.