XP64 and Win7 x64 Dual Boot Questions

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by GrumpyAeroGuy, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Just a few questions:

AMD64 Xenon Quad Core, 8 gigs of RAM.

I have a 750Gb hard drive (along with a second 500Gb hard drive, if this is relevant or germane in any way to this discussion).

Partition1: Primary, Active, 375Gb, XP64, C:\

Partition2: Logical, 375Gb, NTFS, empty/blank, D:\

Want to install Win 7 to this partition, partition 2, and a create dual boot scenario.

If I understand correctly, I need to (assuming I am in xp64):

a) Mark part1 as hidden and NOT active.....

b) Mark part2 as active/primary

c) Reboot to Win7 install CD

d) Install Win7, then boot into Win7

e) either via installation of paragon BM into Win 7 OR Linux recovery CD and re-boot TO that CD, activate/set-up Paragon BM correctly, then I have a dual boot machine.

Am I "off the plantation" here, or do I have it down, pretty much, correctly?

Anything I am overlooking/missing?

BTW, just ditched Acronis for several annoying reasons. I like paragon much better thus far...FWIW. Too many annoying quirks with Acronis --- too many "undocumented features"...lol

Also, of course I have a Paragon backup image of my present HD configuration.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I believe you need to Hide 7 from XP - not the other way round.

Paragon BM would then hand the active flag to whichever o/s partition you selected from the Paragon boot menu.

3. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Update:

Utilized the built-in "Install new OS" functionality, and, works like a charm.

I now have a WInXP64 and Win7x64 dual boot machine working beautifully with boot manager.

I am still interested in the question I raised above relative to doing it manually. When I do something with built-in automation, I still find value in understanding what the steps would be if it were to be done traditionally.

"Hats off" to paragon. I am having much better experiences with your package than with Acronis. MUCH easier. The bootable media are excellent and rock-solid.

Thank you for an excellent product.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I like the Paragon much better too.

The manual methods usually involve using 7 bootmgr, adding an XP entry to 7 bcd and hiding the 7 partition from XP.

Ther is one here for installing Vista after XP - ( same applies to installing 7 after XP)

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm

Neosmart have a handy utility for hiding partitions called HNS:

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1341

Manual instructions :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.