XP3 and Loss of Network Connectivity

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by beethoven, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

While this question has been raised before in another thread, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1241376&postcount=32 A Long Awaited Waste of Time (Or Why I Wont Install SP3), Assethounds query and my identical problem have been lost in the many other postings.

Does anybody have an idea why the installation of XP3 should affect the ability to connect to the net. In my case download and installation went fine, I even did not notice any issues with connectivity straight after the reboot. However this morning I lost connection several times after a few minutes whereas other pc on the same network did not suffer this fate.

I have since rolled back using Fd_ISR but would still know how to tackle the issue.

Sorry, posted in the wrong forum - could a mod please move this to software and services :(

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you go under device manager, network devices, select the relevant network card, properties, power options, untick allow computer to turn off this device to conserve power ... See if this helps.
    Mrk

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Is this a wired connection OR wireless ?
    Do you get an icon saying disconnected, or do you get no hint of loss of connectivity ?
    What were you trying to access, LAN or external from your LAN ?

4. beethoven

Mrkvonic said:
    I checked this - it is currently ticked (same as in my snapshot running XP2). When I unticked it, it made no difference though at that time I had lost already connectivity. How and when should this have an effect?

5. beethoven

It's a connection via Lan - I do not get any icon or error message, just none of the browsers or email services can connect - just times out. Normal network to other pc on the same network still works, I can see files on these pc and as mentioned earlier, those other pc do not lose connection to the net.

Once I switch back to XP2, the problem is gone.

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Then maybe you have a problem with your router. Does your router permit this specific machine to connect? Does this machine have the router specifies as its gateway and DNS? Do you have conflicts with the assignment of IP addresses?

Again, I refer to the new setup only. Obviously everything worked before. Try to see if there are any differences.

Mrk

7. beethoven

Mrk, thanks for your help but I am not sure how to answer. Yes, there is a router but apart from XP3 nothing has changed. I am using the same pc and switch back and forth (via FD_ISR :D ) between one snapshot with XP2 and the other with XP3. Other than that, there are no differences - same AV, same FW etc. Apart from the failure to stay connected to the net, I have not noticed any other changes. Obviously this being a show stopper, I am not spending too much time in the XP3 environment at the moment - unless someone can figure out how to fix the issue. :doubt:

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Can you ping your router from the machine with sp3?
    Can you ping internet sites?
    If you run traceroute to some site, what's the route you get.
    Check the router logs. Run ipconfig /all on the problematic machine, once in sp2 once in sp3 and compare the output. You can even post here - just obfuscate your mac addresses and public IPs.
    Mrk

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I have been having the same problem with an XP Home machine. Connected through wired lan I will lose connection at undefined intervals. A reboot brings tthe connection back. At minimum 1 reboot is needed every 24 hours. Removing SP3 fixed the problem. The only security software is Avast Home, Dropmyrights, Windows firewall.

Another PC, XP Home SP3, connected wirelessly has no problem.

Any insight as to the cause of this problem would be appreciated.

10. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I spoke too soon. The wireless PC loses is connection after resuming from S3 sleep mode. Putting a fixed ip address in the wireless adapter's properties fixed that problem.

11. beethoven

Mrk, I just did some more testing switching between my current xp2 snapshot and the other xp3. I have no issues at all using xp2 and can ping my router with zero loss of packets average time 1ms. In xp3 I get an error message timed out. I can ping a website - again 0 packetloss and average round trip 24ms on Xp2 - but "could not find host" on xp3.
    Doing a tracert on xp2: completes in 11 hops but shows "unable to resolve target system" in XP3.
    IpConfig is identical on both setups (it is the same pc) .

Strangely enough (at least for me :doubt: ) I noticed that Nod updated when running Xp3 to the latest definitions, so some connection must have been there.

I am happy enough running XP2 at the moment but guess that eventually I will have to upgrade.

12. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Suggest you reinstall your network adapter driver and create a new local area connection if necessary.

Go to SpeedGuide and download TCP Optimiser and reset where necessary.

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,

You probably did not define your router as your dns!

Under ipconfig /all for the relevant network card check the gateway and dns.

If you cannot ping or resolve, it means your sp3 doesn't have a dns server.
    Nod can update because it probably uses an ip address.

Try pinging using IP instead of host name.

If you can ping with IP then all you need to do is setup your router as dns and you should be ok.

Just open properties for the relevant network connection, under tcp/ip, select to automatically obtain all information - primary servers, ip etc.

When you renew your connection (manually ipconfig / renew) or reboot, things should be fine.

Mrk

14. beethoven

Why would this only affect my pc when running xp3?

15. beethoven

Mrk, This weird o_O - I was checking out your suggestions trying to understand what you meant. My network connection, under tcp/ip is set up identical under XP2 and XP3 with everything to be obtained automatically. After changing from Xp2 back to Xp3 to ping google, I was surprised that suddenly it worked. But now my normal internet also works without me doing anything. :argh:

I will see how it goes over the next few days and might have to come back for more advice.

and just when I wanted to submit this, the network connection dropped out again. So I do another ping with the following result:

Pinging 66.249.72.6 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.249.72.6:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
    :mad:

16. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Because possibly the driver was corrupted,but up to you if for example you want to go to Speed guide-etc.and make new connection.

17. beethoven

thanks Hairy Coo - I downloaded the program and will have a look at it over the next few days. I hope it's not too techy - having had a first glance at the documentation, I am afraid I won't understand much though I am hoping for the default "best option" setting.:D

18. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Are you sure this IP does not drop packets :)

When you type ipconfig /all - for the relevant network adapter, do you get your router as primary / secondary dns and default gateway?

In both cases!

Mrk

19. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Hello,

Microsoft made some Vista-like changes to the networking portion of XP in SP3.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...982/Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.pdf

In my situation I have a DSL modem in router mode assigning DHCP addresses (in 192.168.0.1 range), connected to a wireless router (DHCP off, in range 192.168.1.1). With this setup I have to assign a permanent IP address in my Vista laptop’s wireless properties (192.168.0.xxx) so it will pick up from my modem and not my router. XP SP2 handles this with no additional workarounds. XP SP3 requires the permanent IP address for my wireless XP box. The wired XP SP3 box would connect initially but require a reboot after losing the connection. I subsequently uninstalled SP3 and connectivity is back to normal. I haven’t reinstalled SP3 on this machine to try the permanent address workaround as my wife uses it for her work and I can’t tie it up experimenting.

I suspect if my modem was in bridge mode and the router handling DHCP I wouldn’t be having these problems. My ISP has the modem password protected and I can’t put it into bridge mode.

Would it help to put my router in the same address range as my modem eg 192.168.0.2?
    I hope this makes sense to somebody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.