XP wont boot after Migrate Easy clone

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by pbotto, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbotto

pbotto Registered Member

Attempting to upgrade from 40 GB Maxtor HD to 120 GB Seagate Barracuda I used Acronis Migrate Easy to clone from the 40 GB drive. It seemed to work but when I removed the 40 GB drive and switched cable connections (both drives jumpers set to cable select) the 120 GB drive will not boot. Error message simply "Boot failure". BIOS set to "Auto" all the time. It will not even boot to XP with a boot diskette.

After trying numerous variations, repeating the clone process, and doing much unfruitful reading and consultation I gave up and went to Plan B! I simply repartitioned the new drive using Partition Magic and begun copying/moving data files etc. to new logical partitions. The new drive has a Primary partition and an Extended partition. The extended has several logical partitions.

I haven't put anything in the Primary of the 120 GB yet hoping that there is still some way I can get it bootable by cloning JUST the C: drive over intact without trashing anything else on the new drive. Is there some way this can be done??

Any help will be appreciated.

MB -- K7S5A ECS
    CPU -- Athlon 1700+ XP
    RAM -- 1 GB DDR
    BIOS -- AMI
    Disk Drives: 3.5", 40 GB disk drive, CD-RW
    Optional Info: Xtacy GeForce2 TI, HP psc 2175 All-in-one

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think using CS for both drives was the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.