XP Updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rita, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Windows XP users *might* be vulnerable to e-mails claiming to be
    from Microsoft this week.

On April 12, Microsoft will make the Windows XP Service Pack 2
    upgrade "automatic" for any machine that uses the Windows Update
    utility.

Email "scammers" may send YOU e-mails with subject lines such as:

"Urgent Windows Update"
    "Update your windows machine"
    "Important Windows Update."

The e-mails will encourage users to update their Windows software
    immediately and included the link to a bogus web site.

Microsoft *DOES NOT* notify users of updates this way....

PLEASE delete any such emails you receive!

----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this information was both timely and usefull?

Kind Regards

Marc Liron
    Microsoft MVP
    www.updatexp.com

2. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Today, when I tried do get the new Micro$oft Updates on my XP Home SP1, I got a message that [I couldn't because a required service application is disabled.] It goes on to say I must have Automatic Updates enabled, Background Intelligent Transfer Services, and some kind of Event Log. All of these services are as they were the last time I updated, and I'm wondering if they're trying to force-feed me SP2, whether I want it or not, through Automatic Updates.

Has anyone else run still using SP1 received this message, as I did? I really don't want to give them carte blanche, which is what they're asking, because I don't trust them not to sneak in SP2. On the other hand, I know it's a good thing to stay current. It doesn't sound like I'll have the option of selecting which available updates I want if I change my settings as instructed. :doubt:

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I still run sp1 with automatic updates disabled and downloaded the latest patches with no problem.

U may want to download them manually.

Take a look here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=75201

for the latest and how to get them.

snowbound

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I keep auto updates turned off as well as have the service disabled; I do have the BITS and event log services enabled however. Last time I checked to see if any new updates were out (maybe about a month ago) I got the same message, it said I needed all that stuff enabled, so I set the auto updates service to automatic again and then it worked fine. So what I am trying to tell you is that MS has been doing this before April 12th. Now I want to check out the windows update site to see if any new updates are out, but I am afraid that MS may try to slip SP2 in when I re-able the auto updates service. Or maybe you can’t get it unless you have both the service and auto updates enabled (as set though view system information).

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Okay...if I understand you right, I should use the links in that thread to download the fixes individually?

I can do that (unless M$N refuses me there, too), but am thinking there's cause for concern when I can't go to the M$N Auto Update site using the Windows Update choice in the group up above "Start," as I always did. Well, I can, but it does no good. They don't get as far as checking my system to see what's available before telling me I don't have enough enabled.

UNLESS...since it asked me for permissions for ActiveX and something else...could it somehow have disappeared from my IE Trusted Sites, and that's why it's having trouble? Will go look in IE meanwhile.

Thanks...

6. snowbound

Yes.

I'm not sure what is happening there...

Could be, i have windows update in my IE trusted sites.

snowbound

7. chew

chew Registered Member

jayzzz

As far as updating to XP SP2 ... errmm ... I was without SP1 for nearly 3.5 years because I couldn't update to SP1 as it crashed my system. So I was totally relying on 3rd party softwares and being extra vigilant not to click any link I didn't trust or to open any email with attachement. But my XP was still able to use WindowsUpdate at that time so I was only applying patches all the time ... without SP1 though

I only update to WinXP SP2 4 days ago ... and I still switch off the Automatic update. I prefer to update it myself.

But if you really want to install WinXP SP2 ... I suggest you reformat and install your OS and immediately install SP2 then driver then AV before you log-on to WindowsUpdate ... that's provided you want WinXP SP2.

Otherwise, just stick to SP1 using manual download of patches.

Chew

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

IE still has the M$N Updates site in its Trusted Zone, and it's not trying to go there via Firefox, even though it is my default browser...

I don't think I should try to enable the things they ask, do you? And with the BITS set to manual, am I correct to think it will 1)work when it's needed, since it's manual and not disabled (? am I logical in that?) or 2) sneak SP2 in. I've had it for months on a cd to use when I want to. I don't want to when my system isn't having dire problems warranting drastic measures. In other words, it ain't broken, and I don't want to fix it!

I'm not shouting at you...I'm just shouting in general.

9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

My problem is that suddenly I'm not being permitted to do the manual download...at least not through their updates. I haven't yet gotten to trying the individual links in the other thread that snowbound referred me to. Think I may save that for morning, after a big cup of coffee. :)

I, too, have other things protecting me in the ways that SP2 is supposed to fix. I think this computer, bought in April of 2003, came with SP1 installed, so that wasn't a decision I had to make. I agree reformatting would be the time to do it, but don't particularly WANT to reformat when nothing's malfunctioning except them, probably trying to manipulate me.

10. snowbound

If i was u i would not enable automatic updates for any reason. I wish i could tell u why u are having problems but since i have not experienced this, i'm not sure...

Try the manual download method. I have used it before when i had problems of another sort.

snowbound

11. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I agree...even if only enabled for long enough for them to access once, they'll do as they please w/o regard for my wishes. It's nice that Wilders has a list of the fixes they're offering to be able to get them without letting M$N force me to play along with their irritating game.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

from my earlier post...am I right or wrong in my thinking?

14. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Like the new avatar, ronjor!

I've got SP2 on cd when I'm ready. I don't want to reformat right now. Thanks for the link, though.

Is Frequent Poster a renaming of Senior Member or an upgrade because I passed another post quantity milestone, perhaps at 300 w/o knowing it?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay. :D You don't have to reformat though.

You're not supposed to recognize me with the new avatar. :D

Members titles were changed recently.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=74000

16. chew

chew Registered Member

Yes, one reason I updated to WinXP SP2 was the unfortunately dead of my HD after 3.5 years without even a single BSOD. So with new HD I reformated and installed SP2.

The truth is my system is stable so far and it works well with all my 3rd party softwares.

However, there is a slight slow down when scrolling the internet though. hmm ... I wonder if there is a way to speed it up? Opening tabs in Firefox is slightly slower ... Even my friend Win2K SP4/SP5 is faster now ...

But booting up and closing down is slightly faster now. Office app. is a bit slow as I noticed ...

I guess WinXP SP2 requires plenty of RAM ... I am on 512 mb ram now ... hmmm ...

d;-)

P/s: I think it's a matter of time you have to update to WinXP SP2 ...

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That amount of ram will be the minimum recommendation for the next version of Windows.
    I never had a problem with sp2 although a lot of people did.

18. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'm supposed to recognize you as long as I'm reading the same name in the same forum despite changes in avatar. That's what reading is for.;)

I figure if I don't reformat, things will be more complicated on the hard drive. In any case, I'd be foolish to install SP2 w/o backing up everything that's been added to since last backed up "just in case."

I know I'll have to do it sooner or later.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

jayzzz

You're right. Backing up is the key.

SP2 does clean up real well and an entry is made in the add/remove programs if you want to uninstall.

All systems are different and I understand why you don't want to install SP2.

20. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Hmmm. I've got 256 MBs of RAM. Would it be advisable to get more? I don't think I push this thing's limits, as it is...it's hard to be sure when you don't really "get" how these machines and the software work below the level of user interface. I guess if my husband can/does install more RAM, that might be a good time to reformat ... but I won't hold my breath. Procrastination is one of the things he's got down to a science. :rolleyes: Both of us do, really.

Thanks for the link about the title changes. I feel more like an Intermittently Frequent Poster, having posted frequently and up to a certain quantity, but not posting at regular or predictable intervals. ;)

21. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Does ANYbody want to mess with something that's working fine, knowing there's a chance they'll fry it and it won't work fine again until after much hassle? (rhetorical)

I've become cynical beyond having faith that simply uninstalling SP2 (or anything else, for that matter) via add/remove will restore a computer to the way it was prior to the install/uninstall processes, no matter what havock may have been wreaked. I know I'm being melodramatic, btw. :D

22. chew

chew Registered Member

Well, one way to make updating to WinXP SP2 easier is to prepare for the installation. Read as much info as you can about WinXP SP2 and your system ...

The 512 ram on my laptop is max out at the moment ... so I need to build up a new system in future and I will take my sweet time learning to build one up myself.

I think I will start with Barebone PC ...

d;-)

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

512mb of ram for XP works real well.

It is traumatic upgrading your operating system and things can go wrong. SP2 is a major upgrade.
    I still have my upgrade in the add/remove of control panel. It's been there since last August.
    It doesn't look like I am going to uninstall. :D

24. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'm not one of the more technologically oriented members here, chew...virtually (meaning with 2-3 exceptions) all of my posts have asked questions rather than answered them for others. When I read about my system, I get something akin to brain-freeze; I glaze over and don't comprehend what I'm reading because the tech reading...even at the level of Windows XP for Dummies...bores me beyond tears. My ignorance doesn't jump right out at you because it's camouflaged by decent grammar and spelling instincts. :D

25. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It comes back to that same thing: If it ain't broke, try like hell to avoid fixing it! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.