XP & suse linux 9.2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hadi, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    2 seperate HDs one XP is installed on it the other SUSE linux 9.2
    How can I modify XP boot.ini to gain access to multi boot screen with XP/linux choice
    --------------------------------
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect/NoExecute=OptIn
    --------------------------------
    many thanks

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I've always used lilo or grub as the boot loader/OS chooser on systems with Windows and Linux dual boot, and they have both worked perfectly in the past.

I've never looked at boot.ini in this regard - I know it can offer a choice between different Windows installations on a PC, but will it even acknowledge the existence of Linux? ;)

3. hadi

hadi Guest

can you help me how. Please

4. dog

dog Guest

When you install SuSE it'll give you the option to use either boot loader (grub or lilo) ... I wouldn't recommend using either actually ... create a boot floppy instead. ;) You'll have a lot less headaches if you leave your MBR alone.

Steve

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you happen to have partition magic the app that is with it called boot magic is an excellent boot app It will boot windows and linux and it will leave the MBR alone. I have used it on at least two dozen different occasions and it never once caused any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.