XP SP3 to reach most users 'shortly,' says Microsoft

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Many thanks ron :)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release to Automatic Updates
    http://blogs.msdn.com/nickmac/archi...vice-pack-3-release-to-automatic-updates.aspx

3. NICK ADSL UK

The day for this automatic download is scheduled for the 10/7/08

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Thanks for the information, once I realized it didn't contain any new security patches and mainly just rolled all patches into one, and reminded myself I had an AMD processor, I didn't install and don't plan to.

5. NICK ADSL UK

Hi everyone :)
    AS some of you may be aware in that Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release to Automatic Updates is imminent. Now should you find that this update is not to your liking or you should find any fault with this update you can always uninstall it and ask here on how to proceed

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us

Please note in that My personal experience with this update is that you may find some software will no longer work. Also please note that My own personal findings are that this is most unlikely for the vast amount of users but there will be some notably those of you who use certain Themes, Visual Styles, Skins, Wallpapers, Backgrounds, Icons, Cursors, Logons, Boot Screen types of software

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Oh no, not this again.

SP2 is more than enough given the mass of security vendors with improved products as well as new introductions with latest innovations.

Microsoft with XP SP100's will never match the talents of these technical geniouses, and only wastes a good users time, whcih seems to be a common trend that raises it's ugly head occasionally out from that camp.

NO thank you!

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I waited a LONG time and kept saying "screw it, I don't need it". And what do I do? Today I installed it and I'm still alive...after a second attempt, it froze on the first, lol.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Microsoft is an excellent designed of a skeleton or framework O/S, but thats where it ends abrupty, in their feeble attempt to pamper satisfied XP Users who for years fine tuned their systems to perfection, IMO, these type SP's only reverse or create issues that require nothing more than wasted time and effort on the users part.

For pity's sake, security vendors have XP mapped out better then microsoft from what i seen and read and i wouldn't chance ruining my perfected setup just for their PR campaign that claims to do this and that when more often then not, only screw up everything.

O/S framework makers they excel at, but when it comes to some of these SP's they seem to cause more trouble then their worth the time to add.

EASTER

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am a bit confused - is this the 10. July or the 7th of October? Because I had read about this intention a few days earlier, I prepared my backups and snapshots and upgraded myself. Fortunately everything is fine so far.
    However, I do have some secondary rigs that are on still on xp2 - I did not see any notification or installation yesterday or today.

10. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Does anyone know if the problems SPIII had with OEM HP Computers with AMD processors have been fixed with this release?

11. NICK ADSL UK

It is the 10th of july :)

12. NICK ADSL UK

The service pack 3 was the problem as far as I'm aware and the fix can now be found here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/

13. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Is it absolutely necessary to 'upgrade' to SP3, if you keep SP2 fully patched?

Will a download/installation be forced somwhere in the future? In other words, will XP stop functioning (in the long run) without SP3?

I have set AU to show the available updates, but I decided whether I download and install them. Will this setting prevent the automatic installation of SP3 as well?

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't see a forced upgrade anytime in the future and XP will continue to run without it.

You won't get an upgrade with your settings as they are now.

On the other hand, there is really no reason not to upgrade in my opinion. The upgrade will do a little housekeeping on the operating system and in my case, it seems to run a little better.

Don't ask for statistics please. :D

I am using an AMD processor and the upgrade caused no problems on this custom built computer.

15. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. With these AU settings ('show new updates, but I decide when to download and install them'), will AU show that SP3 is available?

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Eventually it will.
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9107918

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.