XP-SP3 installed ... C drive free space reduced drastically

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by abanerji, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abanerji

abanerji Registered Member

I have a Compaq laptop with a 80 GB hard disc, of which C drive is 15 GB. The OS has been XP-Pro SP2, and generally, about 50% space (7 to 8 GB) in C drive used to remain free.

I have just installed SP3, and find free space at only 3 GB. In other words, 4 GB seems to have been lost to SP3 installation process. After installation of SP3, OS has been fully patched, vetted by Secunia.
    I have also used CCleaner, but it cleaned few MBs.

The broad breakdown of the used space of 12 GB is as follows :-

a) Windows 6.6 GB
    b) Program files 2.4 GB
    c) Documents & Settings 1 GB : I don't use MyDocuments, and this contains only my OE mails.

Any advice to reclaim lost space will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. abanerji

Thank you. In fact, I had posted in Aumha forum also, and have been provided this link there too.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Well i have the some problem

what do you mean

and was you able to delete the backups?
    i was looking for a tutorial too but did not find it
    after the install of the sp3 , my xp is more huge then my w7 , it's a shame:thumbd:

5. abanerji

I check from time to time, whether all my major programs (not only Windows) are fully updated with latest security patches released by the respective software companies. A great tool is the online app scanner at Secunia ( http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ ).

Basically, my free space release strategy now is as follows (not yet done, because my situation is not a crisis, but have to do it for the sake of good housekeeping maintenance - in other words, important, but not urgent) :-

a) Clear system restore bloat, which happened during SP3 installation

b) Clean up some of the huge hotfix folders left behind by Windows update / installation

c) Move my OutlookExpress mail folders to a data drive from existing Documents&Settings in C drive, which will release about 1 GB.

In all, I expect to gain additional free space of about 2-3 GB, which should be ok for now.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks!

how much Gb did you take installing sp3?

7. abanerji

You are welcome!

Re. SP3 space, in my OP, I gave some rough indication of my C drive before & after SP3. I think I have lost about 3 GB space to SP3 installation process ... this is based on only circumstantial evidence, and I don't have precise size of Windows folder before SP3.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you look in the Windows directory you will see a backup folder made by the SP3 installation - I believe you will have to enable "show hidden files and folders", then you will see folders whose names start with "$NtUninstall". When you are confident that the system is working OK with SP3 delete the backup folder to recover the space.

9. abanerji

Thanks. In fact, I am aware of this folder, and it also contains all the earlier SP2 patches of past few years. I will probably still move the SP3 stuff into external media, instead of complete deletion. Actually, since MS is sunsetting SP2 in July, one has to live with SP3, if not moving from XP to Win7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.