XP-SP3, anything new?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gerardwil, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

In the link I provided on post#21. There is a procedure to unearth users' SP3 RC expiry date. But I could not find any on my 2 laptops. Has anyone be able to find one ?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't think it is a mess . Some days ago my uncle bought his first laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium . The laptop was at my home until I install programs for him . This was my first long experience with Vista and I am very excited by Vista :) - it's really beautiful , especially with the Aero style , it ain't slow (to the contraty of what some people post) , I find it much more intuitive and helpful for new users . Things are much easier to do , I believe (even though they are different from how they are in XP , for example) . Most programs also run much better in Vista than in XP . I applied all patches from MS Windows Update and for the week or so in which I "played" with this computer , I couldn't find a bug or anything . And what is most important (for me) , I really fancy UAC and when it prompts me , I feel much more secure with it and it doesn't irrirate me nor it slows my work. :thumb:

3. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Agree with you lodore,so what's the point here.New OS every 2 years.Today I find this and it's interesting petition for saving Windows XP.For all interested read here http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archives/2008/01/save_windows_xp.html

4. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Finally. Microsoft have many fix in post SP2 era that were never publicly released. These fix as well as all Windows Update fix will be included inside SP3.

There is another improtant things that people miss. SP3 will have all the updated 2007 / 2008 WHQL Drivers included.

That means people who reinstall their computer will no longer have to download huge amount of drivers update again.

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Are you sure of this? It would be great.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

"According to a Florida performance testing software developer, XP SP3 is not only 10% faster than XP SP2, but more than twice as fast as Vista SP1, claims that Microsoft disparaged within days." (PC World)

The current release for me, is definitely buggy and certainly no faster, unless your imagination is working overtime.

Its just a collection of previously-released fixes and minor product enhancements, mainly these four;Network Access Protection compatibility,Product Key-less install option,Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module and the Black hole router detection algorithm

Cant see any speed improvement is really possible as nothing has fundementally changed.

When it comes out about mid year or so,as a final release, it will be handy for new installs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well from i gather yes. Although i dont have any official confirmation.

Would be great for people like me who do slipstreaming.
    No longer do you have to integrate a huge set of drivers.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

9. lucas1985

It's XP-SP3 not Office 2003 SP3 :D
    Planned obsolence is the leitmotiv of Microsoft.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Oh well :p
    It's the problem in having too many newsletters!

11. lucas1985

Be an organized man (RSS reader) ;)

12. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I'm using now SP3 3300. Working fine.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The problem is me, not the programs.

14. lucas1985

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.