XP restore??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by root, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

I recently had a harddrive crash and decided to get a new Dell. They wouldn't let me have 2K, so I'm stuck with XP Home.
    I want to partition my harddrive with Partition Magic, but I don't have anthing backed up yet.
    My question is, if something screws up while trying to repartition, can you go back to a restore point? If so, does that wipe out any changes to the partition?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi root, :)

Make sure there are no hidden partitions on that drive before you use PM.
    If System Restore will be able to revert things is highly doubtfull. Imagine PM crashing while it is moving the System Volume Information.

So better use root's rule nr 1 (Always back-up)
    And better use my rule nr 1 too (Hide everything that will amplify your temper) [​IMG]

Best regards and good luck partitioning,

Pieter

3. root

root Registered Member

That's what I thought. Thanks.
    I was trying to stay away from using a bunch of CDs to back it up and then change the whole setup.

4. root

root Registered Member

FYI I backed everything up and partitioned with Partition Magic 8.0. Man that program is nice. Couldn't believe how easy it has become and the speed of it all blew me away. :eek:
    I feel better now because Dell doesn't give you a full XP disk with their computers anymore, just a restore disk that probably isn't worth diddly if you really hose your setup.
    I don't think I'll buy any more Dells, but this one is nice after what I've been using.

5. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi Root :)

I hope everything is gonna get back to normal with your pc...

You'll now restore the latest copy of W2000 you have, while you're gonna keep your fresh copy of XP as security backup just in case, is that my understanding ?!

Kind of weird this crash happened while testing the new LitePC 2000 ?! What do you think ?!

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

6. root

root Registered Member

Not planning on Win2K right now. I'll see if I can secure XP first.
    The hard drive crash was a physical thing. The hard drive was making click click noises before it died. I had started backing up stuff, but it died before I could get everything backed up.
    There is no way 2klite was responsible for that.

7. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hello...

Glad to hear LitePC had nothing to do with the death of your hard-drive.

Seems that securing XP is gonna be a new adventure in its own way - nice challenge and most probably a funny one. You might be interested to know JacK is a definite expert on this OS.

Probably gonna see you one of these days on Agnitum Forums - some trouble to install Outpost 2 on my Micro config' - getting an error message right after reboot.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.