XP Restarts after installation

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by softzone, Jun 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. softzone

softzone Registered Member

I had Norton on my system. I have uninstalled it. Then I installed NOD32 v 2.
    When I start my system, I get the error message "Remote Procedure Call has been unexpectedly terminated" windows will restart the system (this not the actual phrase but this is key text) A 1 minute countdown begins and the system restarts. After I uninstall NOD32, everything goes fine. I have tried to disable the nod32krn service and nod32kui but does not help.

Where could be the problem?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. softzone

No, I have not done that. I have used the norton 2003 uninstaller. Would that make a difference?
    But what is causing this problem. I have disabled the nod32 service and disabled the startup link too. Yet I get this problem. So what else is running besides these 2? I cannot see anything in the taskmanager related to nod32. Or could it be one of those svchosts?

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi softzone,
    By experience I can tell you, if you didn't uninstall NAV2003 like explain by Pieter_Arntz you may encounter problems.
    Myself I had similar problem with NAV2002 and only after using the procedure from Symantec I could get rid of it.
    Don't ask me what is causing this... :)

5. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

The RNAV and RNIS utilities were developed for troubleshooting problems exactly like yours.
    The normal uninstall is adequate in case you want to install a new version of NAV or reinstall the same, but hardly so, when you wish to install another AV.

6. controler

controler Guest

Just a word on AV's installed on new computers.
    When you buy a shiny new computer today, chances are it comes loaded with a FREE 3 month LIC for some AV by say, Mc afee or Norton.
    What some companies such as HP do is creat a DIR called HP
    and in that DIR is another sub DIR witht he AV in it.
    Mine was on my HP Laptop.

C:/HP/Programs/Norton2002

This is seperate from your C:/Programs DIR

7. softzone

So what is the way out? Can I run RNAV2003 now, since the uninstaller has already been run? Or should I reinstall Norton and then run RNAV2003?

Thanks for the replies!!

8. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

I would try that first, yes.
    It should pick up any leftovers that way.

9. controler

controler Guest

And if you feel confident, you can regedit and search for all entries of Symantec or Norton
    be carefull though if you are not experienced with manula registry editing ;)

I would run the cleaning program now and not trinstall Norton first.

con

10. softzone

I ran RNAV2003 (I had already run the norton uninstaller) and removed the registry entries, this made no difference. Then I reinstalled NAV2003 again, then ran RNAV2003, removed the registry entries and installed NOD32 v 2. This time it worked fine.
    So problem was due to NAV not being unistalled fully. Thanks everybody for the guidance.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.