XP Pro - The end is nigh (30th June). Support ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NGRhodes, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It would be a simple matter for MS to release a small quick update before Xp support ends that disables the WGA and validation stuff. Problem solved. Win2k, as old as it is now, and beyond support, can still today be installed and fully updated on the MS servers, no problems at all, and no WGA, which they had put in at one time, but then later removed. I suspect they would do something similar with Xp.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank goodness i bought a Volume License for XP Pro, my very first one, and sadly probably the last. At least some with EnVol License will at least be able to carry on.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I saw somewhere that Win 7 (the successor to Vista) will be out by sometime in 2010. Until then, it's XP for me. Or ReactOS. Or a Mac. Or Linux. Or... what the heck is BeOS?

Lots of choices, but Vista? Noooo way.:ninja:

4. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Yea, but if XP is still headstrong like it is now, with everyone wanting to stay with it, it does provide Microsoft a pre-existing way to force the upgrade. Windows 2K wasn't as widespread, to my knowledge, as XP is.

Secondly, of course Microsoft could release code to remove the Activation requirements from XP, but that would actually work against Microsoft. If everyone is still sticking with XP in 2013 (Its possible) then they are losing money on Windows 7, and presumably Windows 8 which would be out around 2013-2014 (assuming they stay on a 3-4 year release cycle). They should do it, but will they.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Vista doesn't suck on the right hardware....:)

But I agree, Vista really isn't all that stellar compared to XP.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Bottom line:

Microsoft needs to get off the pot and stop with all this Longhorn, Vista, Vienna, Windows 7 nonsense and really craft a super O/S that doesn't require a uranium line to power all it's overabundant resources, in other words concentrate on more modular minature powered designs that make better use of less resources while delivering awesome speed and agility.

I say further they should completely overhaul Internet Explorer while their at it.

Otherwise, interest and confidence in any of their upcoming O/S's are likely to meet the same fate their dealing with now.

Does any of this make sense? And for one minute doesn't anyone think M$ has the cash supply to make use of such a minature powered innovation? And i don't mean for handsets either. :cool:

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Makes total sense to me. I think they need a total rewrite from scratch, and quit worrying about backward compatibility, and put out something totally new and excellent. If it's good, the whole world will move to it fast....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.