xp more config yes orno

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mr.Blaze, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

Xp is strange i already cleand up my start up list yet there seems to be alot of process runing in background

any more crap i can get rid off in this section what you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. root

root Registered Member

BlackViper is the place to get that information.
    Backup your registry before making those changes and make sure you never touch RPC(remote proceedure call).

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I used the Black Viper site when I first got XP and it gives some pretty good advice on services and startups.

But, a couple things Blaze... First, notice that many items in your list are "Stopped". Those services aren't running on your system in any case. So, you could sort that list to make it easier to read by clicking on the header "Status", then concentrating on the Running items.

Next, I never edit my Services from msconfig. I use the Services applet at: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. There are brief descriptions there for every service and you can look at their dependencies (what other things need them) before disabling.

The advantage to changing things in the Services applet is that you can set a service to "Manual" rather than "Disabled" (by right clicking on a service, going into Properties... - in the middle of that screen is the startup setting which can be Automatic, Manual or Disabled.)

Why is that better? Well, you need to be careful what services you disable on XP. Some are critical. By setting a service to Manual, it only starts if something else runs that needs it. If setting a service to manual, then reboot your system and run the normal things you usually run, and that service stays off then you know. But, if that service is needed, the system can still start it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.