XP key not recognized all of a sudden

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by stride000, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stride000

stride000 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm taking care of my little cousin's comp once a year at the hollidays when the family get together and last year I had installed ESET Smart security, password protected, set it to automatically block corrupted files etc... etc...

When I went there tonight, noticed the liscence was expired since 22 days and something might have entered the machine as Windows gives a message that the key can't be validated and upon installing the new ESET liscence it as a very hard time scanning. It doesn't proceed.

Anyone might have an idea of how to take care of this?

The XP key is a multi-user one and I have it on my machine at home and at work and everything works fine.

Forward thanks!

PS: I noticed the pnkbstra.exe process that seems fishy.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

stride000, here's more info on pnkbstra.exe which is legit if either game is installed on that machine.

If you suspect that something got in while ESET was not being updated, use both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware free versions to find the culprits. Let us know the result. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.