XP issue thats quite bad

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TECHWG, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I refere to an old post i found that describes my issue exactly
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=29531

Any ideas what the cause may be?
    its getting very bad now.

basically if i log on, then lock the pc, and someone else logs on, and then that person logs off, the screen goes blank, and te mouse and keyboard are frozen. Yet when i switch to my account and not log off their account, then in my account using task manager to log them off it works ok.

This is killing my neurons, please help

Thanks

WG

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Do you have the Fast Switching service disabled?
    Or any other service related to users?
    Mrk

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Techwg,

Mention sp1, sp2 and whether hibernate or standby's enabled?
    Box make, model and approximate age of psu (power supply) including m/m?
    Were any physical changes made around the time you first started noticing this behavior?
    Review this also "QUICK-SWITCHING USER ACCOUNTS, three account shuffle" near the bottom.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Hi,
    m running the following system:

CPU: AMD athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Memory: 2GB of PC3200
    Hard drive: Western digital 160gb, seagate 200gb
    Sound Card: M-audio sound card Revolution 5.1
    Graphics card: Geforce 6200 LE 256mb
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-Sli
    Power supply: Hiper 420w

Antivirus: Avast
    Firewall: Comodo
    Encryption: Truecrypt

and i need my user switching, thats the reason it crashes me because people use it. So i must find someway to fix it.
    Anyway i dont use power saving features since they are pointless for a pc thats on almost 24/7

5. GlobalForce

Open device manager and event viewer. Look for any problem's relating a driver file. Check that your copy of Msgina.dll is signed by ms. Third party app's have a habit of overwriting it. In service's confirm terminal's up. Anything Novell, Citrix, or type of screen reader being used? Try functionality after disconnecting any attached periph's. You have a spare keyboard you can swap in to test in case that's the cause?

From what I've read this is frequently attributed to a program in one participant's userspace, unable to release allocated system resources. Your goal is to determine the correlation. How you ask? Wait for an expert, read forum's posting similar content, call ms if urgency is the issue, or try the application compatibility toolkit (google). Below is dated, but possibly relevant information on FUS at MSDN.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997634.aspx

Another approach to testing would be to manually exit certain program's before switching, one at a time.
    Make sure also (don't ask cause I'm not sure) video memory isn't sharing main memory.

S

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Hi, msgina is ok, thing is its either a software (which i highly doubt since every time i format the problem is there) or a hardware is starting to fail.

This is the single most depressing thing to happen, because i am a PC tech and this problem is screwing with me and i cant even find the cause
    :'(

7. GlobalForce

I'd start by running one of the readily available, free memory diagnostic's - http://www.memtest.org/

Then head over to my graphic card's homepage and see what's available. On top of that you'd be surprised what a BIOS upgrade can do aside from any misconception's you may have read. Did wonder's for my system since it's initial release in 04. Reaching your last out .... consider utilizing the capabilities a multi-meter. These day's they're cheap enough. All this after checking "physical" connection's of course. ;)

*Advice? Don't stop here. Stay assertive and post on a hardware specific forum.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.