XP HOME&PRO / Remove Programs question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Joe the King, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe the King

Joe the King Registered Member

While uninstalling some prgrams this evening, I wondered....

Is it nessecary to keep all of the XP "Hotfixs" that would be located at the bottom of the ad/remove programs list?

They're annoying to me, because they keep adding up. Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It's best to keep them, they are important for XP to function. DO NOT remove any hotfixes unless they are faulty. I myself leave them alone.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you put up with it for a couple more weeks, XP Service Pack 2 is supposed to organize these a lot better.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Annoying youo_O In Add/Remove!!!... how many times do you have to open Add/Remove for them to be annoying. :D

Not much point in installing the Hot Fixes in the first place if you are going to remove.

No mate, as nadirah says, leave them be IMO. ;)

Cheers, TAS

5. Joe the King

Joe the King Registered Member

OK, I was just checking.

To answer the question as to why I'm in add/remove so often...games. Games take up too much mem. Beat em and get rid of em, no need to hang on to old Max Payne files and whatnot.

Thanks for the quick responses.
    Joe

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One other option -- and if I understand correctly, Joe's problem isn't the hot-fixes themselves, but the fact that they take up half the Add/Remove menu despite the fact that (with rare exceptions) you won't want to uninstall them. That bugs me too.

At the very top of the Windows folder there's a ton of files with uninstall info for these, should be fairly obvious from the file names. I think (no guarantees, of course) that if you delete these uninstall-data files, the hot-fixes will simply disappear from Add/Remove without affecting operation of the fixes themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.