XP Firewall, Norton Personal Firewall, Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) Conflicts-HELP???

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by runner50, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runner50

runner50 Registered Member

I'm really not sure who to listen to. o_O Dell sells their PC's with Norton
    Internet Security which includes the Norton Personal Firewall. Researching
    the Symantec site, I came upon this:

Situation:
    You have a LinkSys DSL router and it contains a firewall. You want to know
    whether Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Norton Personal Firewall (NPF)
    conflict with that firewall.

Solution:
    The firewall in the LinkSys routers is called a Network Address Translation
    (NAT) firewall. This firewall filters IP addresses at the router, which is
    before communications from the Internet or other external network reach the
    computers on your internal network. So, this firewall does not conflict with
    NIS or NPF.

BUT when I inquired about that from Linksys, they recommended not using ANY
    type of software firewall as it may conflict with their router. o_O

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 with XP Professional/Service Pack 2 which has a built-in
    firewall, which I have turned off because of this.

I have Norton Systemworks 2003. My Norton subscription is up for renewal. I was considering upgrading to Norton Systemworks 2005. The upgrade includes, for free, the Norton Personal Firewall. But I'm not sure if using it would cause conflicts. You can't have the XP Professional firewall, the Norton Personal Firewall and the Linksys router firewall all functioning at the
    same time without conflicts, from what I've heard.

So I desperately need an explanation of what is actually correct as I got different responses from everyone. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF SOMEONE CAN EMAIL ME SOME FEEDBACK AS TO WHAT IS ACTUALLY CORRECT-WHAT ROUTER, SOFTWARE FIREWALLS, ETC. CAN BE USED TOGETHER?
    I would be forever grateful! :)

2. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

I did'nt use the windows firewall, but did use nis versions 2003, 2004, and 2005
    with linksys routers, and never had any problems, I think you can use whatever
    software firewall, and router you find preferable, just do online security scans
    after to check your security.

Good Luck,

Wake

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Re: XP Firewall, Norton Personal Firewall, Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) Conflicts-HELP??

Can't exactly help you with your problem, but personally I have had troubles caused by Symantec programs, most notably Systemworks. I am not alone with this experience.

Since getting all traces of Symantec off my machine it has run much more reliably.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: XP Firewall, Norton Personal Firewall, Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) Conflicts-HELP??

afaik, i cant think of any routers and software firewall that conflict with each other. just make sure to disable ur windows firewall.

5. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

You can safely use a NAT Router and/or firewall appliance together with any software personal firewall without the risk of conflicts. I don't know why the Linksys person advised you against adding a further level of security (a software firewall) as I have never seen any problems with that type of setup and is indeed what I have here in my office.

Where you will get conflicts is if you try and use more than one software firewall on the same PC, such as Norton Personal Firewall and Windows XP SP2 built-in firewall. You should only have one such program installed and running on your PC at any one time, although you can safely turn off the Windows firewall (leaving it still installed) and use another software firewall of your choice without problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.