XP Firewall - needed at all, if using Zone Alarm ??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by stalker, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hey again ...

My question is totally simple today - the same as the topic title ...

Do I need having XP built-in firewall turned on, if am using some other (Incoming/Outgoing communication monitoring) firewall ...

Is it maybe even recommended to not use it in that case, meaning if there is any possibility of some kind of firewall "rules", software, etc. interfering ??

Many thanks for any responses

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Microsoft recomends that you turn it off if you use another firewall

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Stalker .. Your XP firewall is only effective for stopping incoming stuff but not outgoing. If you have a good software firewall installed, you do not need the XP one. However, when I installed my software firewall and forgot to disable my XP one until you mentioned it here - both have been running with absolutely no conflict for well over a year. It is probably not wise to run both so it is ultimately up to you if you wish to do so or not, If you are using a router with a built in firewall, then I would not recommend also running the XP firewall.

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

If you really want to go that extra mile, you can not only turn off the XP firewall, but you can go to

Start > Run > type in "services.msc" > find in the list "internet connection firewall (ICP)" then double click and disable it

this will prevent it accidentally running in the background, and frankly, it's just fun to disable services you don't use!

-HandsOff

5. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hehe, it sure is, it is a little bit off-topic, but since I started it ... here is my favorite tip from Astalavista - Windows XP Tweaks , about which services to disable ...

The following services should be disabled:

Alterer
    This service allows you receive alerts from an administrator, and unless you are on network you won’t need this. So do your computer a favour and disable it.

ClipBook
    Used for sharing what you cut and paste with other computers, typically on a network. Normally takes 1.3 MB of RAM, and quite useless.

Indexing Service
    Basically it indexes the location of files to speed up the search of a file, extremely useless and also a resource hog.

Distributed Link Tracking Client
    This basically updates a link on a network. In a nutshell if you have a shortcut on networked computer, for example “computer A” and you move the file on “computer B”, this will update the new location on computer A. So if you’re not on a network this is useless.

IPSEC Services
    This will be required for domains and VPN connections, if you do not use either you won’t need this.

Remote Registry Service
    This is basically what it sounds like. It probably will be cracked and turned into an exploit in the future, if you want to play it safe disable it.

Messenger
    This has nothing to do with MSN messenger; this is what allows those grey pop-ups to appear on your screen advertising universities and messenger blocker for money. Truly annoying.

Regards

6. HandsOff

I'm with you,

I have to admit, without a list, i cannot even remember what half of the services even do. Some like "indexing service" you can shut down simply by selecting hard disk properties. Other huge sources of waste that are fairly useless to me are system restore and saving deleted files instead of deleting them for real. If you have those three things enabled you are paying a very heavy performance price. I will admit if you don't back up your system regularly, then restore is great. If you do, then why would you have restore enabled? I'm not being criticle, ability to restore the system is about the best feeling a computer user can have. I would just like to point out, that if your sytem drive has a serious problem...well, after all, thats where your restore files are.

But useless is in the eyes of the beholder. I read a poll where a majority of users felt the windows built in calculator was a useless waste of resources. I use it all the time! It's free, i always know where it is. Also, for the geek in you, it can be changed from normal mode to scientific mode by right clicking it's properties. This doubles or triples the number of buttons! Now you can be proud of it!

7. controler

controler Guest

ok give this program a try ;)

http://www.x-setup.net/

controler

8. ShotgunGirl

ShotgunGirl Guest

Never use two running firewalls at the same time. To do so causes a conflict as the firewalls battle for the STACKS an may in fact lower the security level. You wont notice the conflict . But there is one.
    LooknStop and segate properly set will work in conjuction. The faint of heart should not try it.
    XP tweaks..have a peek at XPlite by the folks who gave us 98lite

9. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I was lead to this thread from another forum, but if you really want to disable services here is one of the finest guides around. I changed to all of them about 1½ years ago and no problems. ;) Scroll down a bit;

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

10. HandsOff

I concur.

I have never found his advice to be wrong and so I follow it too, even though i suspect there must be some reason for some of the services. Take "indexing services". I have heard from others that agree with black viper that using it is just a waste of system resources and I have had mine disabled since even before looking at black vipers list. But just out of curiosity, does anyone know the exception where disabling the indexing service will hurt you?

- HandsOff

11. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello HandsOff, I have mine disabled for probably 1½ years with no known side affects. Maybe if I knew what to look for I could tell better.

If you are brave here is a bold and daring trimming down of stuff.
    I have shifted most of what is in this and again, no known side affects.
    I know you would be aware of the consequences of wiping out stuff.

http://forums.techguy.org/t212167/s.html

12. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Registered Member

Don't now about ZA, but I have 2 firewalls running together... WinXP's own firewall and NIS 2004 (Norton Internet Security Pro).

The reason for this is because I also use Spyblocker which acts as a web server on port 80. If I disable the XP firewall, leaving just Norton firewall, then my port 80 is left OPEN.

I've done various tests, portscans, etc, all reveal port 80 stealthed if XP firewall is also running, but OPEN if just norton firewall is running. I've spent many weeks on this problem and tried everything, many ppl from various forums have tried to help, but nothing works!

I've discovered that Norton Firewall only stealths unused ports. Because SpyBlocker is keeping port 80 open, Norton will not stealth it.

When my Norton subscription is due for renewal, I may change to either Outpost or Sygate, both are apparently better firewalls, according to Sygate their firewall stealths everything. I've heard that outpost is even better, so I should have no problem with Spyblocker.

In the meantime, I know it's not the best situation, but I must continue to run both firewalls together.

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi SpongeBob

... welcome to Wilders :)

As some of your comments relate to another topic/issue, if you want to start a new post in regards to your NIS issues I will try and help you there.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.