xp defrag

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by snowbound, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi everyone :)

I have windows xp and i like to defrag quite often.

Lately i have been seeing articles on the net saying that the defrag that comes with xp isn't very good.

If this is true can anyone tell me of a good defrag programme i could download that works with xp?

I checked wilders download list but the defrag app. i saw there is for 95 and 98 only.

Programme doesn't have to be free.

Thanks

Snowbound

2. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

3. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi snowbound :).

The two best commercial defrag utilities for XP at the moment would have to be Diskeeper Pro 8 and O&O Defrag Pro 6.

I have tried both and I find (IMO) O&O Defrag Pro 6 to be the best.

Also PageDefrag is another option and is free _BUT_ it is only for defragging the pagefile and registry hives (SAM, SYSTEM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, .DEFAULT).

Hope that helps,
    Jade

4. snowbound

Thanks for the links guys. :D

I really appreciate the help.

Diskeeper pro and O@O defrag look like excellent programmes. I'll give them both a trial.

Karma cookies all around! ;)

Snowbound

5. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Snowbound:

My own experience with Diskeeper Pro, which I now regret having purchased, is that although it does a very good job in XP it never completes the job in Win2K; it always leavesa certain number of fragmented files at the end of its run.

Another irritant is that it is a CPU hog. My chip is a 733 megahertz Intel Pentium III, and when Diskeeper is running it pretty well monopolizes it, so much so that I can't really do anything until it ends its run. It's for that reason that I turned off its scheduler function and run the program manually when I have no other business.

A further irritant is that when it finishes a run it refuses to budge from memory but just hangs in there using up resources even though I have no further need for it. Sometimes I can terminate it by using Task Manager or APM or the TDS-3 terminate process function, but doing this can sometimes crash the computer. When I wrote to Executive Software asking how I could stop it from hanging around in memory they never replied. The only way it can be totally shut down is by rebooting while using Codestuff Starter to make sure it keeps off the startup list.

A final irritant is that the Diskeeper icon which appears in the taskbar tray when I start a run seems to have no function at all: right-clicking, left-clicking, double-clicking achieve nothing and bring up no menu at all, so there's this dead object just sitting in the tray which also sometimes refuses to go away even after a run has ended and I've closed the main program screen.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

6. snowbound

Hi tepi :)

I will keep these issues in mind when i trial it.

From your experience it sounds like it is more of a pain then what it is worth.

Thanks for the heads up! :D

Snowbound

7. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Snowbound:

It's a nuisance in Win2K but seems to work better in XP - much faster and doing a complete defrag.

Another defragmenter I've heard good things (hype?) about is Perfect Disk:

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

I wasn't able to try it out as it proved impossible to download the trial version without first giving them all sorts of personal details which I didn't want to do, though you may have better luck.

Cheers,

tepi.

8. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if, immediately after one of Diskeeper Pro's incomplete defrag runs in Win2K and before doing anything else, you decide - OK, I'm going to get you to finish the job - and you start it up again, it offers you a completely different analysis (drivemap) to the one it showed at the end of the last run, one that looks almost as messy as the one at the start of the last run. There's something fishy about this program. It tells two different stories, despite the fact that nothing has happened to change the story.

9. snowbound

hmmm....... Even though iam running xp, i'm starting to wonder if i should even trial Diskeeper pro :doubt:

Maybe i'll trial O@O defrag first just to be on the safe side :D

Thanks again tepi

Gave u a karma cookie for being so helpful :D

Snowbound

10. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I don't know what all the fuss is about. o_O I defrag using XP and after doing so, I am optimal at 100%. How do I know this? Well, I have a system monitor which is provided in Norton's SystemWorks package and I check there before & after the defrag. Anyway, that is my two cents worth. Cheers.

11. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Snowbound:

Thanks. I'm happy to have been able to provide, for what it may be worth, my little critique of Diskeeper Pro's behavior in Win2K. It's a program that certainly bugs me, and the company's lack of support didn't exactly help matters either.

Thanks too for the karma cookie. I'm looking forward to being able to hand out a few myself after I reach the 50-posts requirement.

Cheers

12. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Peaches4U:

After thinking it over I would have to say - yes, you're probably right. I should have settled for the perfectly adequate job the built-in Win2K defrag was doing. In fact, I can no longer recall why I got Diskeeper. I must have been in some sort of hype-induced trance.

Cheers

13. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Tepi - I think we all get carried away sometimes. We read about something and promptly think we need it. One can download far more programs than absolutely necessary. In the case of XP defrag, unless it becomes absolutely useless, why duplicate with something else? XP defrag feature will also advise if a defrag is not necessary at that time. Anyway, I am satisfied and do not feel I need to download another program to do the same job. It is a matter of choice. Cheers.

14. tepi

tepi Registered Member

Hi Peaches4U - Yes. Right again. Ah well, at least in this matter I can serve as a bad example to others :oops: But I've now learned my lesson :)

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.