XP boot disk?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mr.Blaze, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

In windows me i was able to make a start up disk with the ablity to get to safe mode

whers xp safe boot disk

i cant see to find on my pc the option to make it like i did in windows me add and remove programs with a tab that said make boot disk

xp is difrent

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Blazey, (Just in case)

If you are wanting to get into Safe Mode the way I get into it is to reboot and just before it starts to go into GUI mode you press F8 and select Safe Mode from the menu there. You have to time it well so it does no harm to press F8 multiple times, that will help ensure you get the menu before it starts to boot up normally.

Uguel

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

5. controler

controler Guest

& one of my favorites is

http://www.bootdisk.com

con

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D WOW NOW THOSE ARE SOME QUICK FRINDS THAKS GUYS HUGE BIG HUGS I NEEDED THIS BADLY

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really like the boot disc set you can download from microsoft. It takes six floppies but you can boot your comp or install minimal xp os. ;)

8. macdon

macdon Registered Member

Is it possible to download an XP (Home) boot disc on a CD rather than floppies? If so, where would I find this download? Thanks in advance....you guys always come through for me. :D

9. bigc73542

It seems to me that if your computer was in a state where you had to use a boot disc, your cd drive might not be accessible. That is where floopies would have the advantage over a cd or bootable os disc. In my previous post in this thread I mentioned the six floopy boot disc set. It will let you boot in safe mode or will install minimal os so that you can access cd drive. To me this seems like the best way to go.
    File Name:

WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE

Download Size:

4287 KB

Date Published:

10/24/2001

Version:

File Name:

WinXP_EN_HOM_BF.EXE

Download Size:

4284 KB

Date Published:

10/24/2001

Version:

10. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

once again i am the reluctant champion of Microsoft.

I believe their decision to give you the option (force you to) boot from the cd drive was a stroke of genius. floppys just don't cut it. i wanted to add:

- most of the time it is easy to change the "boot order" from your BIOS. by default xp is supposed to check your cd drive(s) prior to hard drive, though there is a slight chance that some cd drives are not bootable. (even though i never remember if its f-1 or f-2 to hit to get to bios...)

-your hard drive makers support page may well have a download that will make a boot floppy for you for xp that even has some tricked out options for you. (Maxtor does! "What's driving you?")

-also, NERO among others allows you to make a bootable CD.

-did i mention that i dont care for floppies?

-HandsOff

11. bigc73542

If you happen to pick up a virus ,trojan or worm that won't let you boot and disables you cd drive which is very possible you might learn to maybe not like floppies but be darn glad you had a boot floppy ;)

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

True enough, but you know how some people cannot wear a digital watch because something about them causes it to stop? I have that same effect only on floppy disks....My Maxtor drive came with a cd, and a boot floppy for XP. the apps are now outdated but i keep the floppy anyway because of how they set it up. boot to the floppy and it loads a CLI partial o/s. at the A:\ prompt it asks for "F" for floppy, or "C" for cd....so basically when i need to boot to a floppy, i just swap floppies at this point for one that has what i need and hit "F". my floppy drive is not very reliable reading or writing...gotta be a better way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.