XP Anti-spy, or SafeXP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I've used XP Anti-Spy for a long time, but I'm wondering if safeXP might be a better choice.

-HandsOff

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

personally I believe either is a good choice I have used them both and they are a little different but accomplish about the same thing. Probably comes down to which GUI you like.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use both...

They have some different and nice settings... ;)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If they both work fine for you then either will do.. I've had less problems with SafeXP than XP-AntiSpy, however.. others have had opposite experiences.

5. toploader

toploader Registered Member

i downloaded and installed safexp to give it a try.

i decided to put a shortcut icon on the desktop but forgot to create the shortcut and just dragged the icon out of the program folder onto the desktop - realising my mistake i dragged the icon back into the folder.

at that point windows explorer crashed - followed by dr watson - i was able to terminate the explorer task with task manager which freed things up - but half the icons in my system tray had gone AWOL.

rebooted to get back to normal then created my shortcut.

if dragging an icon into a folder can screw the system i really do hope that windows isn't used for anything important in this world like air traffic control or monitoring nuclear reactor cores.

so far XP anti-spy is in the lead - it creates a desktop short cut automatically :D

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Likewise here,
    Mrk

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

-----------------------------------------------------------
    This is an interesting subtopic, and since the door has been opened...

I know this is a horribly inefficient method, but for piece of mind, I create shortcuts this way: i right click the originating icon and select "Create shortcut Here", then I cut and paste the shortcut (as apposed to dragging and then selecting move, copy, create shortcut)...

- Have you ever noticed that the are many programs available whose only function is to move files? This hints at the possibility that windows may not be very strong in this area. The reasons? I wish I knew! I keep meaning to find out more about this but part of it is just that xp seems to register locations for things like installation location and downloaded file folder.

This does not seem to work well for my method which is to install from a folder that I just use to install programs, then delete what is left behind. to do it otherwise would leave me wonder if the install files get deleted. it does seem to leave some bad file associations in the registry.

But...could this be the answer? XPlorer2 seems to actually update associations to moved and deleted files. We'll see.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Back to this topic!

I don't know if it is true but i read that XP-antispy contains some kind of advertizing link for eBay? It does not sound right, but when I upgraded from v3.92 to v3.94(?) i had problems with the interface. I switched back and everything is fine.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.