XP Admin account in "Safe Mode"?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

In Windows XP "Safe Mode"....I noticed a 2nd admin account called "Administrator" (along with my user-created admin account).

This is only visible in Safe Mode and not during normal boot.

Is that account even needed and can it be DELETED?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Well you could :eek: but wouldn't recommend doing so. :D;) Relax, it belong's to the system.
    *You spend too much time looking around. Go and enjoy the web will ya.

S

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  3. Birdman

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if it was needed or not. And yes you are correct, I do spend too much time looking around. I guess I'm a "tweak" addict. LOL. :)

4. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

For security reasons, I rename, password protect and disable the built-in Administrator account, and remove the Guest account from any local group :D

5. Birdman

Can you please share how you do all of the above?

Will it mess up XP in any way though?

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

If this is xphome where its fair to say other family members may have accounts I would keep the safe mode admin account. The admin account has no password as it is only available in safe mode and thus allows you to go in and change other accounts passwords incase of loss.

7. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

I found no problems doing this, and changes are always revertable at any time.

Not 100% sure of XPHome aloows this, but in Pro: Go to start / run and type compmgmt.msc, then hit enter.

Computer Management will load, there select Local Users and Groups, expand it and select "Users".

On Users right pane, double click the Administratror account, there tick the "Account is disabled" option, then hit apply and ok to close that window, once the properties window for admin account is cloded, while still selected hit F2 on keyboard and type a random name, like "dcdfveoku" or something like that to change the account name.

Now create a fake admin account with the same old name of "Administrator" and disable it (thanks to Ice_Czar for the tips).

Now, double click the Guest account, go to "Member of" tab, and remove it from Guests members, same, hit apply, and OK, If you share your files over a local network, leave the account enabled, if you dont like me, disable the accound :D

OldMX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.