XMON not working..?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by goldenarmZ, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenarmZ

goldenarmZ Registered Member

I've had Nod32 2.7 installed on our SBS2003 server w/ exchange 2003 sp2 for a couple of weeks but xmon doesn't seem to be functioning at all. The number of scanned items still reads 0 (should be thousands by now). Amon / dmon are running fine.

I'm not sure xmon is even seeing my storage group.. if I try to scan emails through amon I only see the public folder store, and it only scans a handful of items in there. :doubt: I've got all the amon exclusions set properly, it's not set to 'scan all files', and even turning off amon doesn't help.

I also can't turn on the option "scan transported messages", if I do it stops my incoming smtp queue completely.. the only way to fix it being to turn xmon off. :ouch:

Currently this expensive piece of software seems to be doing nothing to protect our emails.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. goldenarmZ

Any chance of some support here?

Its not scanning the message stores and it locks exchange when I try to scan transported messages.. surely someone must be able to help?!

A suggestion at least...?!

PLEASE?!!?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If XMON doesn't scan email then MS Exchange doesn't pass any data to XMON for scanning. Have you tried installing XMON 2.51.7 beta and enabling the external Control Center scanner to see if it makes a difference? The beta is stable, there are only some bugs in the rule editor that will be fixed in the release version.

4. goldenarmZ

So is this likely to be an error in my exchange configuration? Do you you have any suggestions on that front?

I'll give the beta a try now, thanks. :thumb:

5. goldenarmZ

No joy with the beta. :/

Is a complete uninstall/reinstall of nod32 likely to help here? I don't want to have to do that unless absolutely necessary.

6. goldenarmZ

I've noticed I'm also getting Event 348 spewing forth from the logs when I turn "scan transported messages" on.

[A message could not be virus scanned - this operation will be retried later. Internet Message ID <blahblahblah>, Error Code 0x0. ]

So it looks like exchange is passing data to xmon, but xmon does nothing, thus stopping my smtp queue?

I'm aware of the reg key to switch VSAPI transport scanning on, and I've tried it set to 0 and 1 with no joy.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the situation, but I'm just trying to get a feel for this software and where its choking up.

7. goldenarmZ

Forgetting transport scanning for the moment, is it possible to manually tell xmon where to find my exchange stores? I had to move them off the system drive a while back and I wonder if NOD is looking in the wrong place..

8. goldenarmZ

It's like trying to get blood from a stone round here. :cautious: This is the official support forum is it not? Why am I receiving no attempt at support?

This could be something really simple or just a configuration error, but how am I ever supposed to figure that out when you won't talk to me?

As much as I like the program and think its the best on the market all-round, I can't possibly renew our nod32 subscription next year with service like this. It's pathetic.

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

10. goldenarmZ

Rather comedically, I avoided that page in the first place thinking I'd get a faster response here. :rolleyes:

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It depends on many factors in a forum, one being of the knowledge of the issue being presented.

Cheers :D

12. goldenarmZ

Fair enough, I just expected a little more effort from the eset staff. :)

13. Marcos

I'd suggest that you copy xmon.dll somewhere else and try to delete xmon.dll from its original location. If you can delete it then MS Exchange does not communicate with XMON at all.

14. goldenarmZ

Yeah I can delete it. :/

What would be your next step if the 2 programs simply aren't communicating?

15. goldenarmZ

No response? You must see how useless that is?

Me: XMON doesn't work.
    You: If you can move this file, XMON doesn't work.
    Me: No sh*t.

I'm going to leave this forum now before I end up as a troll. I hope email support is slightly more effective.

16. Marcos

Email support has generally higher priority than responding to the Wilders' forum. There are quite knowledgeable people here who can advise in about 90% out of all cases.

As for the issue you are having, check the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan\Enabled and make sure it's set to 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.