xerobank web browser is safe?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by cafeshop, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cafeshop

cafeshop Former Poster

XB fixed it in the lastest release build.16c

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Two errors: 1. There is no 17a version yet. That may have been a misformatting error on naming conventions. 2. The firewall plugin is used to check if you have a firewall running if you get a connection error. This has been replaced with a different library that will avoid erroneous kaspersky errors in the most recent download. It seems that you did not download that file recently, because it hasn't been on the website for a week.

3. cafeshop

cafeshop Former Poster

Hi Steve.

When downloaded the lately, was shown in your site build.16b, but the file download was appointed build.17a absolutely that surprised, and downloaded anyway. That was your server errors in the majority. Kaspersky detection scan gave me the alert to the xerobank browser (.14, .15, .16, now with. 17a - as downloaded from their servers). A report on this was presented to Kaspersky forum and this forum. Then the report was with. 17a.

In any event, a revisit your new site would be satisfied with it, and see

ps: During file extraction and install, there are Java stuff is included in the installation. You can contribute to this. Thank you very much.

4. SteveTX

What Java stuff are you talking about?

Also, I think the file you are referencing was only named 17a, and the version itself was indeed 16b if you look at the actual version of the file. Not your issue, just an issue that the file released was named incorrectly for some reason.

Can you tell me how your kaspersky does against this latest download?

5. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Unfortunately I cannot use Xerobank browser as it doesn't work on any of my email accounts, e.g Yahoo and mail.com

It complains about javascript needed.

6. SteveTX

haha. go to tools | addons | NoScript and remove *.yahoo.com from the blacklist.

7. truthseeker

I didn't realise I said anything funny. But in any case, how can I use mail.com because my main email is with them, and Xerobank won't allow me to access the email.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  8. SteveTX

Are you connected through the xerobank vpn, or are you just using the free browser over tor? big big difference.

9. SteveTX

I suggest you visit the xerobank forum so we can answer your question in detail. you can visit the link in my signature.

10. truthseeker

I am just using the free Tor option when I installed Xerobank. And using that Browser with Tor, limits me from my webmail websites as I cannot login as they all complain about the Xerobank Browser and javascript not working.

And sorry, I am too lazy to join your forum and sign up to post there. It's not that important as I have uninstalled the Xerobank browser because it won't allow me to login to my yahoo or mail.com webmail pages. Besides, I looked at your forum and the xB Browser forum, and there is only a couple of people who use it, so it's not worth posting anything there.

And I do not understand why you just can't tell me here how to fix this so I can access my webmail account on mail.com etc. But I suspect there is no fix and that xB Browser simply won't let me access certain websites.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  11. SteveTX

truther, xb browser has hundreds of thousands of users. it's the most popular anonymous browser in the world. :) the forum isn't public yet.

anyway, you can't use javascript over the Tor network because the tor network is untrustworthy, and anyone can join and use javascript to inject malicious code into your machine no matter what website you visit.

12. truthseeker

Ah ok, well that explains why the xb browser didnt work for any of my mail websites.

So does the paid version work? Is there a trial version I can test?

13. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Do you have any proof to back this statement?

Thanks

14. foraminut

foraminut Registered Member

Hi, I am a new member here and tried to have a look at your website; Trend Micro responded to my attempt to visit with:
    For your own safety, please close this web browser window now and never return to this website.

This happened using Firefox, IE, and Opera. :( Is there something happening at the site, like java making Trend miserable? I have the option of reporting to them that they've made a mistake; I'd like to support that report with some actual information as to why they're wrong and you're right :)

The reason I was attempting to visit is that I am running VIsta 64bit and would *really* like to use a sandbox program, having just lost a pc and a laptop in one week to a rootkit (pc) and the old sasser worm (laptop). Sandboxie won't run on 64b Vista, and I'm trying to explore other options.
    Thanks in advance.

15. SteveTX

Sure. As of today, we have 8.7 Million downloads of the browser. We have a counter. The page content hasn't been updated recently, but the counter updates every 15 minutes: http://xerobank.com/xB_Browser.php

Ha. It sounds like the virus/rootkit wanted to keep you from running Trend Micro products. You have two solutions, either run xB Machine, which is a fully sandboxed operating system, or run a variety of softwares to create defense in depth.

For a rootkit defense software, I suggest GMER. (free)

For an antivirus I suggest Kaspersky or Avira, which is free.

For a spyware monitor I suggest Hitman Pro II (free).

For a browser, I suggest xB Browser using https only, or use firefox and add NoScript, and use it religiously. (Your threat model doesn't require anonymity).

16. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Isn't that just a program to download more programs? I think MBAM and SAS would be better?

Thanks

17. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hitman Pro 2 downloaded ad-aware, spybot, spyware doc and spysweeper. Hitman Pro 3 has changed the approach by not installing anything but rather a scan 'cloud.' Hitman now uses avs NOD32 and AntiVir, a-squared antispyware/antivirus, Ikarus and Prevx - the overall scan is short as compared with the previous version. Free for scanning, activation gives a free 7 days for removal, after that you have to pay.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  18. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Wow thanks for posting the suggestions. I had never heard of Hitman II. I went to thewir website and they are talking about Hitman 3. Would you recommend the II over the 3 version?

19. SteveTX

Apparently Hitman 3 just came out. No comments on it yet, I'll give it a try eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.