XeroBank Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Honestly I wouldn't even bother asking, it's his opinion, he can't back it up.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

One argumentative post removed. This thread is specifically about the capabilities of a certain service as to it keeping a user's activity private. It is not a place to lecture people that they shouldn't be doing illegal things, or making assumptions that everyone (or most or even many people) who want privacy are therefore assumed to be doing something illegal. Let that argument stop now.

Stay on topic with future posts.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Fair enough, sorry.

4. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Kinda what I was thinking.
    Why would anyone password protect their computer(s) if they have nothing to hide? Why even close your blinds? Lock your doors?
    Because there are people out there that will try to take advantage the moment you let your guard down. Years ago, in small town America, many people left their doors unlocked. Times changed and the people responded.
    This is no different.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Understand. It's a shame though, because that's when we typically see civil liberties going down the toilet. In my opinion, why punish the many that abide by the law to catch the few that break it?
    But I digress from the original topic, which is to determine the best method(s) for trying to maintain anonymity in cyberspace while using public tools (ISPs, search engines etc)

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Boy could I make a hell of a post about the state of civil liberties, lol. It would probably offend a lot, oh well, the truth sometimes hurts. Anyway, at the moment vpn tunneling and the like and encrypted solutions like TrueCrypt for data storage is probably about as much as you can do to provide as close to sure anonymity as it's going to get. As long as you remember that just by the very nature of human creations that nothing is 100% foolproof, those two things will probably be enough.

7. markoman

markoman Registered Member

There is no such thing as a "leak proof" software. Software is coded by humans, and since there is no perfect human, there is no perfect software. You might mean that XeroBank is the best software for anonimity purpose, but since this claim is based on NOTHING at all, I am personally considering this snakeoil

8. justwonderingby

justwonderingby Registered Member

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but what is the price for the xB Machine? I see none listed on the website.

9. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

like all our software, it is 100% free. It works on XeroBank, Tor, IronKey, and any 3rd party OpenVPN or SSH network.

10. SteveTX

I put the leak proof in quotes for a reason. It is essentially just that. All communications are double firewalled on internal ports, and it can't communicate unless it is through encrypted channels. It doesn't have a way or method to leak unencrypted data. It's kind of like how I don't worry about my toaster broadcasting my tv programs: it just doesn't have any components that do that.

11. markoman

So you confirm your software being "leak proof". Every security device is "leak proof" until some leak is found... which sometimes take just few hours.

And comparing your software to your toaster makes me think that your software can't be so complex... like a toaster isn't.
    By the way... a toaster is used for one purpouse: toasting!
    An OS is usually multithread, which makes it far more difficult to understand, realize, tune and secure. Or maybe your "leak proof" OS is not multi-thread?

PS: Never undestimate the potentials of a toaster...

12. SteveTX

Yes, I definitely believe in simplicity of design. Not creating the problem, rather than being forced to fight a losing battle, seems to be the better method to me. I submit it for anyone to test. We submitted it at defcon last year, which is perhaps the most hostile network environment on the planet, and it didn't even break a sweat. So yes, high confidence in that it is leak proof. We had some design diagrams up for it a year ago, but we changed a lot of the structure, and we're locking it down even further.

What you would need to break it, I think, is first a critical bug that allows remote code execution, then you would need a SSH compromising attack, then you would need a privilege escalation attack, then combine it with a virtualization beakout attack. If you could find the space to perform such legendary attacks, and then string them all together in a mythical hack, then you've got a shot. Till then, too few vectors, too many layers of separation, too much least-privileges, too much lockdown, too much firewall, to much checks.

It's kind of like how no gold bars ever end up leaking on to the lawn at fort knox. Much more, trying to break in there... heh.

13. markoman

Dear XeroBank,
    I am impressed with how confident in you are about yourself/your product. I believe you about your OS not being ever broken so far, and I am not willing to investigate any further about this.
    But defining it "leak proof" means that you are confident that it cannot be broken, if not by some mythical attack performed by some supernatural hacker. And this puts you in an uncomfortable position, since you are claiming something that should never be claimed when dealing with security: Confidence in being unbeatable. Remember that the devil is in the details.

If you said that your product, in your opinion, is the most secure around, you would be trying to sell it. Saying that it is absolutely safe and leak proof, you are turning your service into something "snakeoil looking".

14. SteveTX

markoman,

"leak proof" != leak proof

using quotations creates a happy euphamism as a generic description.

15. markoman

Oh, sorry about that misunderstanding then! So you mean the your product is "leak proof", meaning that it is not leak proof at all. Correct?

16. SteveTX

For all intents and purposes it is leak proof, but we haven't fuzzed it to prove it beyond all doubt. Let's just say it is the most leak resistant design implemented in an OS.

17. markoman

This sounds much more sellable. I am willing to try the 30 days per 1$. Does it include all software (including the OS)?

18. SteveTX

All the software is free, client or not.

19. markoman

Awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.