xeroBank gone?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by jpoc, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I am not trying to defend anyone. I make no excuses for poor customer service. But the service is working great for me. And I don't need any support. I like the service and it is working great. I also use Cryptohippie.

2. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

how much xB pays u?

3. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

Is the concept of a die-hard supporter of something so foreign to you?

It is their choice if they wish to do so in the face of evidence indicating it is in poor judgement. Posting in multiple threads to imply they are getting paid by the company is petty.

A more reasonable counterpoint is that, while the service is working well for caspian right now, there is a high likelihood that they will be left without any service at all due to the lack of customer support and that they are a fool for persisting. Again, this is their choice. People everywhere invest time and money supporting something they believe in whether it's a good idea or not.

4. bryanjoe

i know what u mean.

If i subscribe to "such a service", i will keep my mouth zip.....
    why do i want to say more? :thumbd:

5. bryanjoe

vpn is for the purpose of anonymity or privacy, that is the whole idea isnt it.

then why would one register a nick with an email and announce that he/she is on whatever vpn?

Not smart right?

6. caspian

Xerobank doesn't pay me anything. But I have suspected for a long time that you work for another service. There are other people here who have voiced that opinion as well.

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

XeroBank is puzzling. They seem so irresponsible, yet service interruptions are rare. Additionally, I use several OpenVPN services and XeroBank's setup seems most secure. For example, most use static TLS authentication, but XeroBank does periodic key renegotiation using shared Diffie-Hellman parameters. Maybe we could compare and discuss OpenVPN setups used by various services.

8. caspian

Have you tried Cryptohippie? I like them too.

9. mirimir

No, I have not. If XeroBank stopped working, I would use them if they accepted anonymous payment. Maybe I ought to ask now while there's still time ;)

Caspian, would you be interested in discussing OpenVPN scripting? How about you, DasFox? Would that be welcome in your thread?

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Interesting that it has been established by several people that XeroBank & Cryptohippie are owned by the same company. Just a coincidence they are your favorites?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1345247&postcount=44

-

11. caspian

I would if I could. But unfortunately I don't know the first thing about scripting.

12. caspian

Oh please. What are YOU suggesting? Enough of the kook show babble. I KNOW... that YOU KNOW.. why I like these services. The benefits of these services (multihop, non-U.S. and Non-U.K. affiliations, multiplexing, encypted email, plus what we know about the people involved) have been discussed thoroughly, over and over for a long long time. Yet you want to attack me personally for using these services, or having anything positive whatsoever to say about them. So what's *really* going on with you?

I am not making any excuses for Xerobank's lack of customer support. But I do know that Steve is deeply involved with a community of human rights activists and privacy/anonymity advocates. That means something to me personally.

And evidently Cryptohippie is Paul Rosenburg. A different organization. See here:

http://www.globalspeculations.com/2010/11/paul-rosenberg-entrepreneurs-vs-the-institutions/

I will say that Cryptohippie's customer support is very friendly and prompt. They even made special arrangements for me to use Paypal, which is not listed on their site.

And a quick lookup of Xerobank and Cryptohippie brought up these details.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/xerobank.com

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/cryptohippie.net

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/cryptohippie.com

So maybe you have an axe to grind with Xerobank for poor customer support. But that's not my problem. I like the service and will continue to use them and Cryptohippie as long as I please. And I will continue to feel free to express any opinions that I have about them, or any other service, regardless of your personal and inflammatory attacks and insinuations.

13. mirimir

Well, OpenVPN is fully documented. We all have configuration scripts (route.conf or route.ovpn) and connection logs for VPNs that we use. So we can discuss relative strengths and weaknesses, learn about OpenVPN, and become better informed as users. In my opinion, those discussions would be much more useful than quarreling about taste and opinions.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

OpenVPN scripting, please explain?

15. mirimir

I meant OpenVPN configuration. We have client configuration files, and we can see what servers send from log files. They are not scripts, but rather command line options, and order does not matter. For UDP tunnels in Linux, basic configuration files include:

client
    comp-lzo
    dev tun
    keepalive [ping interval] [wait time]
    ns-cert-type server
    persist-tun
    proto udp
    remote [server URL or IP address] [port]
    resolv-retry infinite
    tls-client
    verb [typically 3-5]

ca /.../openvpn/server.ca
    cert /.../openvpn/client.cert
    key /.../openvpn/client.key
    cipher AES-256-CBC [or default "BF-CBC"]

Typical TLS options include:

tls-auth /.../openvpn/client.tls-auth 1 [DOS protection for server]
    tls-remote vpngate [protects client somewhat]

I'm not sure whether this one does anything on clients:

dh /var/etc/openvpn/dh2048.pem

Some services add user + password to certificate-based authentication:

auth-user-pass

I do not see how that's important for tunnels to remote exit nodes (rather than to private networks). So I just append "/.../openvpn/user-password" to automate connection.

For routing, old school was client side scripting:

script-security [2-3]
    up /.../ovpn-linkup
    down /.../ovpn-linkdown

More elegant (and now default, I think) is:

route-delay 2
    redirect-gateway def1

These options further protect clients:

user nobody
    persist-key

Where there are differences among providers, what is important, and what is not? With that in mind, we could compare providers. Of course, this is just connection security, and does not speak to logging policies, willingness to cooperate with third parties and so on.

16. bryanjoe

hi mirmir,

any comments on this

h**p://fbtubt.blogspot.com/2011/07/connect-mullvad-vpn-udp-globe.html

what it does? reconnect on connection drop?

17. NormanN

NormanN Registered Member

Well those work. I don't know the differences though.

P

18. mirimir

Interesting. In quickly comparing four versions provided I see differences in how clients get routing from servers. I'll need to play with them to say much more.

It's "resolv-retry infinite" that specifies persistent reconnection attempts. The "ping 10" pings server at 10 second interval to keep connection alive and check status, and "ping-restart 60" has client restart when it hasn't heard ping from server for 60 seconds.

19. NormanN

NormanN Registered Member

20. truthpatrol

truthpatrol Registered Member

Caspian, once again you stand in contrast to other Xerobank users have problems, seek help from Xerobank staff, and get no answers. How many YEARS has this been going on? Here's just another example from the Xerobank forum itself to support my observation that Xerobank, despite many promises of reform in helping its customers, still treats its customers with disdain:

* xttps://xerobank.com/forum/privacy-anonymity/anonimity-checker-really-does-not-workwhy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for another Steve Topletz promise. There the promise goes, right out the window.

On the topic of Xerobank promises, what ever happened to "Safehouse" which was supposed to be ready months ago. Any word?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.