xB Machine

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by kryptos, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryptos

kryptos Registered Member

I know the OS comes bundled with the XeroBank line of software (i.e., xb Browser, xB VPN, etc.). However, the numerous ads on the website and offered subscriptions leave me beffudled: does running this OS require me to shell out money in order to operate all the features? For instance, would p2p software work in an encrypted, anonymous manner?

Is the XeroBank network freely accessible, or is Tor offered for the stringy? (I am.) And, there is a link to the source code on the page for xB Machine, but the hyperlink is broken. (The same applies to xB Browser, actually.)

Thanks.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Kryptos,

Here's a quick rundown:

The OS communication is encrypted / anonymized or you get no connection at all. If you were to load up a P2P program, everything would be encrypted / anonymized. You can use the Tor network connection for free, and the high-speed XeroBank network for pay. We've got another build of the OS coming shortly, and it will include the source link, but I think it will be a little too frightening. The build environment is extensive, and the source code for the OS itself is about 4,000 MB in size. So I think the plan is to release the source via torrent. But it will be coming shortly. It's just evolving so fast, once we have a new core built (any hour now) you'll see the updates.

Steve

3. kryptos

kryptos Registered Member

Thanks!

I only recently discovered XeroBank. I now want to work for 'em!

4. SteveTX

Check under 'Careers' here: http://xerobank.com/contact.php

5. SteveTX

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Just a couple of questions:

1. Do you have an idea when the stable version will be released?

2. Does XB machine run from a USB stick like the VPN?

7. SteveTX

xB Machine 0.9.5.0 does have a stable release now, and will be uploaded in a few hours.

And yes, it will run from USB.

8. caspian

Excellent. Should this version be used with VMware or the other one (Qemu?)? And to use this from a USB stick, would both the XB machine and the vm player be on the USB stick?

9. SteveTX

It comes with QEMU built in, but if it locates you have VM Ware installed on the host machine, it will use that.

10. itemirus

itemirus Registered Member

Help!
    I downloaded and burned XB machine to a cd.
    The problem is i can't connect to the internet.
    When i boot from the cd i open a terminal window and ping google.com - looks like it can connect, only a few packets lost, but when i open xb browser it cannot open any web page.

Worse, if i run xbmachine within windows xp not only the browser does not connect, also the ping command reports a 100% packet loss.

I tried to disconnect all services and starting tor again but to no avail.

Am i missing something? Do i need some passwords or client id to enter? What is the xb profile/credentials?

I thought the os was distributed for free.

Thanks

11. SteveTX

Completely free.

It sounds like you're trying to connect over either Tor, or you haven't selected your connection method. Contact us over on the xerobank forum to continue:

http://forum.xerobank.com

12. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

lol, you're keen :)

And is there a free home version of Xerobank?

13. SteveTX

Heh. All of the software is free to use at home, or anywhere else you are.

14. truthseeker

heh, when I visited http://xerobank.com/ it says $1 for signup. So it's not free if I want an account. And using Tor is useless as it's always lagged and slow as snails.

And how can we be certain that there is no "monitoring backdoor" to all the Xerobank applications?

And to be honest, in my personal opinion, I think it's very unethical and rather deceptive in how you are offering "free" applications, when all along you know Tor is crap to use as it's so slow we can have a nap in between webpages loading. You are using a rather deceptive marketing strategy to try to get people to upgrade to using your faster service.

Just say it as it is, not gimmicks, no side-stepping, no deceptive comments.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  15. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi
    I thought they provided the source?

How is Tor crap?

Thanks

16. SteveTX

All the software is free, and works on many anonymity networks. The $1 signup is a demo for xerobank's private vpn service, which is an upgrade from Tor.

They're all open-source. Take a look inside. Compile your own copy.

You saw the latest batman, right? You know when the heath ledger's character is talking and they ask him "Well why haven't you done it yet?", and he responds "If you're really good at something, never do it for free." I think it's like that.

You know, we used to offer free SSH (~500kbps) for a week. However, we don't offer SSH tunnels anymore: we're a premium brand offering the best commercial anonymity on the net. Now we offer $1 VPN (ours is uncapped) demos for a month. Intelligent clients definitely see the value in our offer.

17. truthseeker

Are you serious? Tor is so bad, so slow, that I actually have a sleep in between webpages loading.

18. truthseeker

No I didn't see the latest batman movie. I have better things to do with my time, and better things to feed my mind, than watching some satanic, demonic and dark things like batman. I would never feed my mind, like a brain dead zombie, garbage like that.

But thanks for your reply. I realise you are trying to offer people a service and value that is focused on privacy. But as it is, I cannot use it, because Tor is crap.

19. SteveTX

I don't think Tor itself is "crap", but the experience does leave a lot to be desired. It doesn't conform to being a transparent security benefit because it's so slow, as you well know. Unfortunately, I think it may always be slow. No matter how fast the protocol gets, or how much bandwidth people share, there will always be leaches who abuse it, who take and give nothing back. So you have to get resources from somewhere, thus funded network resources.

20. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

For me, Tor is acceptable if you're just viewing text.

21. truthseeker

Yeah, you brought up some valid and reasonable statements.

22. caspian

Yeah. Maybe. But it certainly is a shade brighter and more cheerful than many of your posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.