Xacti System Protect - any one use it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Sully, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I found this a while ago
    http://www.system-protect.com/

I don't know much abou it or the company. I think they make spyware terminator and used to be called crawler before xacti. There was mention of negative nature.

Regardless, on xp home (vmWare) it uses about 8mb between 2 processes. Evidentily it watches for moving/modification of most every file from an install of xp or vista, including service packs. It also lets you choose directories or files to watch custom.

There is an option to disable for a specific time period (adjustable) so you can install apps or something.

I ran it through some tests on vmWare, it blocks what it says it does. Interesting that a default hosts file though is allowed modification, but adding it as a custom rule does not. I would have thought hosts would have been protected by default.

I search these forums for this, Xacti brought next to nothing, and System Protect or combinations there of brought, erm, a buttload of threads. But not I seen regarding this. So apologies if this has been discussed.

Anyone know anything about it? I am thinking perhaps for novice users I know. It's interface is nice and I think they could grasp it.

Sul.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Last time I used it, there was a lot of hassle when system files were actually involved in some kind of installation - that made me stop using it. Mind that this was a long time ago, though, so things might have gotten better if they've been updating it, but I'm pretty sure CIS (AV only for me) which I'm testing now is guarding the system files of my OS right now, so I'll let things be. Mind that even if you run AV only in CIS, D+ is included, so that's where the protection of system files come from I mean. Same thing if you run only FW. :)

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I tried it an year ago, but it is not too different from a simple AES, and it something got in conflict with other security programs. Try DriveSentry if you like this type of protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.