x64 vs x86 with genuine HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Seeing as more and more of us move on to the x64 platform, this also means you can't run 'genuine' sandboxes or HIPS any more. The sandboxes and HIPS available today on x64 can only 'recommend' certain malware or chosen applications to do certain actions, in difference to what they can do on a x86 system.

So, what are your thoughts about this? Is an x64 system with a tight security setup more safe than a x86 security setup can be? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with x86 you're in total control of what happens, as it doesn't have the kernel patching and your security software can inject itself properly to protect your computer.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

at the same time, malware is there ready too to inject itself any which way it can ;)

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

That is true. But if you already have a tight security setup to begin with (i.e. HIPS and sandbox), there would be no possible way (or at least extremely rare) for the malware to inject itself. :)

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Then it doesn't matter if it is 32 or 64bit. In either case same level playground (higher for 64bit) for both defence and attack :)

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From Microsoft Security Intelligence Report Volume 8:

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Idd, that Kernel Patch Guard for example is the reason rootkits won't work on 64-bit. Also DEP on 64-bit is stronger than DEP on 32-bit.

7. southcat

southcat Registered Member

64bit system perhaps really provide better protection but why malware infection rate is lower in x64 machine, i guess probably is because x64 machine haven't widely use as x86 machine. From 16bit system to 32bit, malware keep evolving.

Those users without knowledge and vigilance will still suffer in this endless war. No matter what kind of system they are using.

But at least x64 system should be increase the security base of system.

Regards
    southcat

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

This is very nice reading. Thank you guys for the information. I'm glad we got it covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.