x64 release for Windows XP & Vista.

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Frederic, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Memory

Memory Guest

Simsalabim miracles do happen.
    Thanks for this version.

Downloaded it yesterday.
    Installalled it without any incidents.

There are 3 things I noticed though :

1. When I load the rules set which I use with the WinXP 32-bit version in the "Internet Filtering"-tab, I cannot see any of the rules. The "Rule Set"-box is completely empty.
    2. I cannot get IE7 (32-bit) to work by selecting "Just for this session" and clicking [Authorize] in the popup. Pages do not load. There is not even an attempt to access the net. The browser error page comes up immediately with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". (The page name when viewing source is Dnserror.) Deselecting "Internet filtering enabled" and rebooting, does not resolve the problem. I have to either click [Authorize] without any selection, or select "Direct connection allowed" and [Autorize], or a million times or so "Just this time" and [Authorize]. Haven't tried the 64-bit IE7 with LnS yet.
    3. Also, when I have selected "Just for this session" and clicked [Authorize], I can see in the "Application Filtering"-tab that in the second column there is a red dot, in the third column is the green double arrow (this combination occurs only the very first time after a bootup and the first login). Clicking the red dot so it becomes green, and then refreshing with Ctrl+F5 only produces "Waiting for...." on the status line of each browser tab. So I suppose there is attempted net access. But still, no page is loaded.
    If it's something I'm doing wrong, break it to me gently.

EDIT:
    Same problem with the 64-bit version of IE7.

Cheers,
    Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Well LnS x64 is working great here.

Also will the final version have the option to start as service?

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, I do. I did the copy/paste from a win32 machine...

Frederic

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The service availability issue is actually linked to Vista and not x64.

As the purpose of the service is to have Internet and Application filtering activated earlier, what do you think about an option blocking everything until looknstop.exe has started ?
    This avoids the need of a service, and it should provides even more protection because it is enabled even before services start. But I'm not sure if there are mandatory connections before a user logs on.

Frederic

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The discussion of that part is now in a separate thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185553

Frederic

6. p0ps

p0ps Registered Member

This Firewall is only 955kb? Is this correcto_O? Im looking for a good Vista 64bit Firewall, will I be able to try this out for a period?

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

The Look 'n' Stop main GUI is abouts 658KB, the installation file is 955KB. As it is for the 32-bit versions, the 64-bit versions has also 30-day free trial period.

8. p0ps

p0ps Registered Member

Very nice, thank you. :D

9. edgg

edgg Registered Member

Hello, when I try to install it on Windows Server 2008 64 bit I get this error message, "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect." Has anyone got it to install on any servers?

Thanks for any help.

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Probably you missed this from the first post:

Note that Windows Server 2008 has not been tested yet. However I don't the reason why it wouldn't work. Please let us know.

Thanks,

Frederic

11. pureobscure

pureobscure Registered Member

I just wanted to let you folks know that I've been running the beta on Vista x64 for about a month now and it's been absolutely perfect. No issues at all.

Look 'n' Stop really is an exceptional product. And I appreciate you taking the time to release a native 64-bit version.

12. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

You don't need me telling you this, but It's always nice to hear it one in awhile... It's good to see people take an moment and give little feedback for the software they using or testing, and like. :)

13. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

That sounds like a good idea. As you say, it probably needs a bit of research to check if there are mandatory connections that have to be made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.