x64 related

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by trial and error, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trial and error

trial and error Registered Member

With this newest ESS 6.0.115.0 RC on my Win7x64 rig ESS installs in C\Program Files\ ... like it always has. The task mgr shows ekrn as ekrn.exe*32. I found an x86 folder inside the above location where ekrn resides.
    Since Nod32 was the only top-notch x64 native av available when XPx64 came out almost ten years ago I'm curious about this.
    Is the current av engine native 64 bit or not?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. trial and error

Thank You, ronjor.
    OK, I used ESSv3 for a year or so then tried each one close to the end of beta stage. Never noticed it before now, do you know when the switch back was made as far as ekrn.exe?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do not know.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Device drivers and other places that ESET's software interface with the operating system which require 64-bit code are 64-bit, otherwise, code is in 32-bit. It has been that way since NOD32 v2.x was released with support for the 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows 2003.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

10 years ago ok 64bit ESET using a little more memory for no real reason may have been an issue but today not so as most will have 8-16GB of memory on a 64bit system.

Ideally I would have no 32bit code on my PC for anything.

The fact is all 32bit Apps run in a software emulation mode in Win 64 called WOW64 and this itself can run at times slower than the same 32 bit App on Win 32bit.

7. trial and error

True temp: when I got that xpx64 oem disk I never went back to the noticeably slower x86. The 3200 AMD 64 cpu that I got that made me decide that since it could run x64 there was no reason for an x86 os for me.

At that point I had to give up my excellent Kerio firewall, but not my excellent NOD32 av. I resented the chronic, acute traffic that the Comodo firewall produced all by itself and waited endlessly for the infamous (my wording) ESS v3.
    Back then a big deal was made of NOD32 being native x64 I let that form my opinion that it was important. Since Eset has figured out that memory usage would be even higher if ekrn was not *32, I'm just going to revise the way I think about all this.
    I do know what everyone else knows about x64.... apps are larger and you need more memory on your rig. Those apps run quicker on my newer hardware, and with 8GB DDR3 @ 1600 mhz 7-7-6-18-24-12-6 it's all good.

This version of ESS appears to be the best yet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.