X-Cleaner

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ninajb8, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninajb8

ninajb8 Registered Member

I'm not sure where to post this.

I have had the free version (not the trial) of X-Cleaner for years since before Face Time took them over. Recently I hit the updater on it and it did something to it. The next time after that it said it needed to update and that the software had expired and would not load. So I deleted it and put my backup copy back in my computer of the version I had been using. It said expired.

This was a free version and not a trial version that I was using, it did not expire.

Can someone tell me what they did in my registry to disable it like they did? And tell me how to undo what they did.

Or can someone tell me where to find the XBlock free version of X-Cleaner?

Thank you

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

3. ninajb8

ninajb8 Registered Member

Thanks.
    I went and downloaded that one, but got the same results. It said it needed to be updated and would not load.

I found version 2.2.091 on one of my old cd's. This is the X-Block version and when I tried to run it there was also the expired warning. This one never had an expiration time. It was freeware.

I guess I don't care for places like Face Time that are deceitful in the fact that they will go on a computer and do some thing like this. Makes one wonder what they are capable of installing without permission.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

If you want, they do on-line scans instead of installing the s/w...doesn't sound like you would trust the company though and I can't say as I blame you. Sorry, couldn't find any older versions. Maybe you could disconnect from the internet->click update->when it finds nothing available, it may stop bugging while you set ur firewall to block it from accessing the interneto_O Sometimes the simplest solutions worko_O

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sounds like it may have made an entry into your registry. Now any time you attempt to install it, it sees the entry and pops up the expired message. Pretty shady :ninja: practice IMO. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.