Wuzzup from BugBopper: What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Hi,

When registered successfully, what is the status on main GUI showing?

Just only "Registered"?

Thanks.

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Nope, "Licensed".

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

:eek:
    Found it in my spam.. Using hotmail.

4. BugBopperGuy

BugBopperGuy Registered Member

Great!. Thanks very much.

- David

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have one suggestion David... While uploading unknown files please show up what are they and add an option to skip a file if the user doesn't want to upload, for say a big file.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Is right-click scan on 64-bit going to be implemented soon?

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

AFAIK there is nothing so for 32 bit yet..;)

8. BugBopperGuy

Right-click scan is right near the top of the to-do list, likely in the release after the next. I think it is a good idea.

Sorry for my delay in responding. Our part of the county was largely without power for the last few days.

9. BugBopperGuy

We are very gratified by the huge number of Wilders forum members who are now licensed users, and glad that so many of you took advantage of our free offer. While our RAMALAMA coupon is no longer valid, BugBopper will remain deeply discounted until our next release ships -- in a few days I hope.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

So how is this program, I have been thinking about trying it since many people have started using it. The 1 buck promotion looks nice, well so did the free version but I dislike giving my last name to new company's.

So is this good, with the 1 buck offer can I still save it till needed? Is it a buck per machine? What engines does it use?

11. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Just ran my first scan with the trial version of BugBopper and am suitably impressed...enough so that I wish to purchase. Problem is it states on their website that for 1 p.c. 1yr. for the low introductory pricing of $5.00. Sounds good too me...but when I went to the purchase product page it states the price as $19.00 not $5.00 as advertised. Is their something I missed and if so how do I take advantage of the low introductory pricing. And if possible is the one buck promo still valid? LOL...Xmas come early. Sincerely...Securon

12. BugBopperGuy

Our discount to $5 was set up to expire at the end of July. I've extended it to August 4th, when I anticipate we will be shipping a new release and be ending the introductory discount.

The RAMALAMA coupon, which dropped the price from $5 to $1, has been allowed to expire. So the current price, good for the next few days, is now $5. I hope this pricing is not a deterrent. We'd love to have you as a user.

As to your questions about what engines it uses: BugBopper and Wuzzup share an engine -- our own.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@BugBopperGuy -- I suggest you include a link to Bugbopper website as part of your sig.

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am thoroughly impressed too..:) But as I said an otion to skip files going for analysis would be much appreciated. Also the result page needs to be clear.. I still didn't find any way to remove the cookies it found during the scan...

15. Securon

Good Evening ! Just an FYI for everyone regarding BugBoppers introductory pricing...Jim Hetland got back to me A.S.A.P.very impressed. He admitted the difficulty on their website...at the moment it doesn't reflect the $5.00 introductory pricing...so he was generous enough to provide me with a valid license for BugBopper...until the situation with pricing on their website is rectified. And at that time I'll gladly pay $5.00 for what appears to be an impressive newcomer in the never ending battle on malware. It's this exemplary customer focused attitude that will no doubt spell success for the BugBopper people. Once again Kudos for Jim Hetland. Sincerely...Securon

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Umm... BugBopper does not do any real-time monitoring, right? Just scans on-demand, right?

So... why is Bugbopper equal to or better than (say) Prevx which also does the cloud thingee but ALSO monitors in real-time?

17. Securon

Good Evening ! Bellgamin...that's why I employ Prevx with Safe On-Line as my main Real-Time App. BugBopper doesn't appear to be Real Time...and the Scans appear to be Manually user activated. But if it's effective in eradicating Malware..then it's something to be included in everyone's layered approach too protection. Time's the Teller. Sincerely...Securon

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have one confusion regarding Bugboper. AFAIK it scans by checking hashes. If anything is already scanned it dowsn't scan it anmore, otherwise it uload that to the server and scans. So, how if that malware is detected in a later time by those AVs? It needs to be scanned at a later time too... Also same holds for FP... May be David can throw some light on it...

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

Out of curiosity, I ran a scan with Wuzzup of my main computer which has been found clean by most reputable scanners (traditional and cloud). It found 12 malware which in my opinion are all FPs, and to give them credit, they also give a percentage of malware possibility.

My feeling is that I'd like to have some more definite answers than percentages.

Attached Files:

20. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

21. BugBopperGuy

A good idea! I can use all the help I can get in marketing. Thanks.

22. BugBopperGuy

Simply select the cookies you want to kill, then press the Kill button (top right).
    1.png
    You can use the controls on the top left to display what you are interested in killing, then the selection controls (top right) to select -- or simply place checkmarks in each box (on the left). When one or more boxes is checked, you may use the Kill button (in the upper right.)

More details here.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  23. BugBopperGuy

There is no real-time scanning at the moment. We intend to add real-time scanning, and have lots of other important features planned. We're working our way up, one bit of great code at a time. For now, I absolutely recommend that users keep their current scanners.

24. BugBopperGuy

Good questions!

BugBopper sorts the world of executables into three categories: "known harmless", "known malware", and "unknown." On every scan, BugBopper checks each executable. If it is known good, it continues. If it is known bad, it adds it to the log, and continues. If it is unknown, it sends a copy to our lab, where an analysis takes place, and BugBopper continues with its scan. At the end of the scan, it checks to see if any results have come in for those unknown files, and if so, reports them if they are known bad.

BugBopper is much faster on its second scan of your machine simply because nearly everything in the machine will be known at this point -- there won't be any files to send to the lab.

In the lab, we scan with other scanners, we evaluate sandbox results, and we examine the files internally. The combination of approaches means that nothing is likely to sneak past our scrutiny. Our lab is configured for a heavy load -- we are adding about 17,000 NEW detections every day -- and isn't breathing heavily at all (yet!).

We are very, very aware of the Zero Day problem. This problem was the motivation for much of our design, especially in the lab. One consequence: if an unknown file is uploaded, if the sandbox shows no problem, if we see nothing alarming inside, and if no scanner finds any fault, the file is set aside. While we tentatively conclude that the file is not malware, we check it again later, and if we NOW find a problem, then we were wrong in our earlier assessment. Our back office system will notify BugBoppers in the field, and your BugBopper will now find any file that is now bad, but was once believed to be good. So far, this has never happened.

As for False Positives: the Score column reflects the percentage of scanners that are likely to detect this file as malware. That score would bounce if the scans were repeated over time, or different suites of scanners were used. But in general, it is very likely that a score under 25 is a false alarm. Scanners false alarm VERY often. When you only scan one machine with one traditional scanner, you never find this out. Tests with more scanners on more files reveal some surprises.

25. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed Explanation David...:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.