Wuzzup from BugBopper: What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Is version 1.2.0.10261 the latest?

Thanks.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Should be, that's the same I have.

3. BugBopperGuy

BugBopperGuy Registered Member

Yes, that is the latest. BugBopper.exe always checks for a newer version when it loads, and updates itself if there is anything new. So a good rule of thumb is that you will always be running the latest version of this.

The updater issue is that the current update process does not retrieve the command-line scanner (BBCL.exe), and does not modify the registry to enable right-click scans of a file. The temporary fix for this is to install a fresh copy of BugBopper on top of your old one.

4. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Installed it yesterday and all I got was a white screen instead of what should have been the main program screen. Didn't bother to test any more, very poor quality. This was on a fresh XP SP2 machine with absolutely no other software installed.

5. BugBopperGuy

You installed BugBopper from http://www.bugbopper.com/BugBopper/download/ yesterday?

Obviously, a white screen suggests poor quality -- in fact no quality at all. But this installer has been shipping since October 28, we have never seen such a thing in our tests, have never had such a report from a user, and I cannot reproduce it now. You might try retrieving a fresh copy and installing, overwriting whatever you just installed. Maybe something was damaged in transit.

6. BugBopperGuy

More questions before I get a hernia on this one...

• Are you asking for a scan of a directory, or a scan of selected files in one or more directories?
    • If a list of files, can you name a product that offers this? (I need a role model!)

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am asking for both but mainly on selected files. Almost all AVs do this like Avast, Avira etc. :)

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2011/02/10/battling-the-zbot-threat-with-msrt.aspx:

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

BugBopper v1.3.0.2241 Released

Decent Changes..:) Thanks Jim and David...:)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Re: BugBopper v1.3.0.2241 Released

Also can scan multiple files, but crashes when it does that. See attached screenshot for more info.

Attached Files:

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Just opened the program and it updated:
    Still have the problems shown in previous post, except this time with multiple command-line windows. After the first item scan finishes, all others crashes after notifying the file status.

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

After this update I can't even complete scan.:'(

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No problems for me. What did you select to scan?

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

C Drive ..:blink:

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Works fine here. Have you tried All Executable Files?

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Re: Wuzzup: Worst cloud ever

New version available, just updated using the built-in updater.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I just noticed there is no more Wuzzup. Why is that so, and can BugBopper detect for free indefinitely?

18. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Just tried the latest version of BB, which btw is free for a limited time and selecting More Info for a file under the Analysis Tab doesn't do diddly squat. Looks like their DB needs more info since it uploaded 37 of 279 files for analysis only scanning for Autostart Files.

Hitman Pro rarely uploads more than 1 or 2 files for a full scan, so I'm wondering if they made BB free just to collect more data.

Also, (1) under the System Info Tab, when you select processes, it doesn't show beans.
    (2) links within the News Tab launches IE instead of my default browser.

Running XP/SP3

BTW, how long does it take to get the free license after registering?

Al

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  19. BugBopperJim

BugBopperJim Registered Member

Sorry, overlooked this post... Wuzzup was in essence a trial balloon for the "real" product, BugBopper. BugBopper incorporates all of Wuzzup, and adds several features, most importantly the ability to remove the malware it detects. When run in unlicensed mode, BugBopper is equivalent to an updated Wuzzup (registration is required, licensing is not).
    In the current free promotion, registration of BugBopper automagically promotes it to Licensed, so the full feature set is available.

20. BugBopperJim

BugBopperJim Registered Member

In order:
    • The More Info links in the Analysis Log got broken; it's a bug, will be fixed soon. Thanks to Al for reporting this. (For actual malware, the adjacent links do work)
    • No secret that as our user base grows, so does out database. We have more than 16 million unique executable files now. and/but every browser session creates new mystery Javascripts, and we can't afford to buy and scan Every Software Ever Created.. No speculation on Hitman's process, but I bet we scan faster and find more malware.
    • The Processes tab in System Info is empty until a scan is run that includes "Running Processes." Mousing over the empty page shows a hint explaining this.
    • The News tab is an embedded Windows Webbrowser object, so it resolves links itself, using Windows code, which is effectively IE. Preferred browser would be preferred; we'll look into this.
    • As Al evidently discovered, the free license is immediate upon successful registration. (there are a lot of, forgive me, Bozos out there who register with bogus email addresses; not surprisingly, that doesn't work)
    Thanks for your continued interest and support--

21. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I am thinking about trying BugBopper it sounds interesting. Is it trusted (I only ask because I am new to it) and also how effective is it?

22. markusg

markusg Registered Member

yes, you can trust this vendor.
    David Stang
    is an veteran in this business
    and also Jim.
    i know they working hard to get more files in to the db :)

23. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

24. markusg

markusg Registered Member

but i can not say how good the detection is at this moment, sorry.

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's pretty damn good when I tested it (along with many others) several times, because of multiple online engines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.