Wuzzup from BugBopper: What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BugBopperJim

BugBopperJim Registered Member

Thank you! This one is clearly a bug, and will require some research. I'm betting that turning off "All Extensions" will bypass it.

post hoc: not entirely a bug, and nothing to do with "All Extensions". It appears to be a firewall issue; you may need to open port 3312 for Wz/BB to access our host database. In future this will be reported more gracefully.
    Just possibly the database was actually unavailable at that moment -- or too busy -- but I understand this is repeatable, so that rules that out.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for clarification. But I am real noob..:p Will this problem with UAC arise if I disable UAC? (which I do always)

Hi have one request. In quarantine there is no option to delete files completely, only restore. I deleted some files manually, but these are still showing...

3. BugBopperJim

It is not strictly an issue with UAC but with _ACL's and such; to my knowledge disabling UAC has no effect, since there's no UAC prompt for elevation, it just fails. I mentioned UAC because that's the visible aspect.

Good idea. Soon.

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have allowed Bugbopper in Sunbelt Firewall for all connections. Lets see what happens.
    btw, what is Program Error 1152-40 & 4756 ?

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Problem Seem to have solved...:)

Still asking because even after allowing Bugbopper in Firewall in one scan I faced this error once.

6. BugBopperJim

These are cascading errors from a poorly-handled exception in the database connection. They suggest that the firewall may not have been the only problem. :( Next release will handle this more gracefully, and hopefully recover silently.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Program Error 3903-100-0 EFOpenError this time....

8. BugBopperJim

• Is this repeatable? Please advise.
    • Is this the real OS or VM?
    • Win7, right?
    This occurs very sporadically -- we have never succeeded in reproducing it on a test bed -- and the conditions explain little.

If it is repeatable, try running "As Administrator", and advise whether that fixes it. If you've already tried that, tell me that.

Thanks much and sorry for all your trouble, this one is both rare and elusive, though not rare enough. :(

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

1. Yes Repeatable, even after running with as administrator. :(
    2. Real OS.
    3. Win 7 Home Basic 32 bit.

2010-10-13_002755.jpg

10. BugBopperJim

sg09, thanks for all the info. It turns out that, as sometimes happens, two unrelated issues manifest with the same or similar exceptions. The issue that is "fixed" by running As Administrator is fixed by doing that, and I believe we have a true fix for our next release -- soon I hope, sigh.
    The other issue is equally subtle but unrelated, and reflects a supposedly just-created file that really isn't there, as distinct from being inaccessible. That too will be fixed shortly.
    Wow, these computer deelies are complicated! :)

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks Jim.

I have a question. Suppose I have an installer that extracts files to different postions after installations. So will uploading the installer means uploading the exe, dll, sys files in it? I mean after installation will they upload again or not ? (for unknown case)

12. BugBopperJim

I think this good question has several parts:
    • Assuming the installer itself is unknown, it will be uploaded once. If other WZ/BB users scan the same installer, only the first one will upload it. Note that if the installer uses a separate .CAB or similar archive, that archive will not likely be uploaded.
    • After the installer is run, any executables (yes, exe, dll, sys, others) it installs, if they are also unknown, will be uploaded at the next scan.
    • If you run the installer more than once, and install the files at different locations, they will be recognized as the same file and uploaded only once.
    You may infer from this that BugBopper, consistent with our focus on actual threats as distinct from potential, does not itself extract from the installer (or its related archives) or detect the files it may or may not install; the contained files cannot pose a threat until/unless they are actually installed.

13. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thank you for implementing the File Finder service :).

14. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Wuzzup bug: got error message "Detection tables not found, or unusable". After I installed the program, I initially ran the program non-elevated in my admin account on Windows 7 x64. I quit the program. Later I switched to my standard account and ran Wuzzup. This is when the error occurred.

Workaround: I changed permissions so that the Users group has write capability to the BugBopper ProgramData folder.

Suggestion to developers: the Wuzzup installer should make the permission change above during installation.

15. BugBopperJim

Quite right, MrBrian, a known issue, and fixed in the next release, any day now... :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

BugBopper v1.2.0.10261 © 2010 BugBopper®
    for Windows

Issues have been identified that affect some Windows Vista and Windows 7 users. If you have experienced any program errors, we recommend that you:
    Uninstall BugBoppper, using either the Start Menu shortcut, or Control Panel -> Programs and Features
    Download and run the latest installer from our website. This corrects some issues with file and folder permissions.

What's new in BugBopper v1.2.0.10261

This is primarily a bug-fix release.
    Some common connectivity issues can now be recovered from.
    After completing a scan, another scan can be launched without closing the program.
    A command-line scanner, BBCL.exe, is included in the installer at no extra charge.​

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I updated to the new version.

By the way, I bought a license for Bugbopper instead of using the Wuzzup freebie. Even so, when I installed the new version I got pop-ups that apply only to Wuzzup. I find being treated like I was using Wuzzup to be particularly irritating since it seems to indicate that the proponents are paying greater attention to users of the free version that to those folks, like me, who bought a license. :thumbd:

If this continues, I will NOT renew my license when it expires.

18. BugBopperJim

Oh my. A little cranky, are we?

First, I don't know what popups you might be referring to, and if you see one that doesn't apply, it likely means we goofed, not that we mean to insult a paying customer; can you be more specific?

Second, we are in fact phasing out Wuzzup; Wuzzup users see a WhatsNew that urges them to uninstall it and download BugBopper. Bugbopper is free to download and use as if it were Wuzzup; i.e., without removal capability (it is in fact the identical source code), but can be instantly upgraded to full capability by purchasing a license.

And third, I might observe mildly that if you're going to take every bug or program infelicity personally, it's probably not in our power to keep you happy. :doubt:

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am not having any such bugs...:eek:

20. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Well said Jim ;)
    I can especially relate to the last part ;)

21. bellgamin

The pop-up occurred as I was installing the update. As I recall, the pop-up was to the effect that Wuzzup is for personal use and is not to be used for commercial purposes. It contained "Agree" & "Disagree" blocks, and required me to check one or the other. Since I had a license for Bugbopper, I thought I had the wrong installer. I checked "Disagree" & the installer aborted.

I have many licensed antivirus programs. I do not need Bugbopper but bought a license in order to give support. I did not expect to be dealing with the free version after I had bought a license. Neither did I expect such condescending responses to reporting an issue.

22. BugBopperJim

The popup was the license agreement, and should have referred to BugBopper. This will be corrected, thanks.

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am getting annoyed by BB :'( . Most of the time I am getting socket error where there is no problem with my upload speed and BB is allowed through my Windows Firewall....:(

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Looks like it have improved A LOOOT!
    I remember in the beginning people kept saying that it wanted to upload GB's of files :blink:

25. bellgamin

I wonder if they have hit some delays in improving this app.

IMO, Bugbopper urgently needs a real-time monitor in order to be competitive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.